手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 影视英语 > 美剧学习 > 福尔摩斯基本演绎法 > 福尔摩斯基本演绎法第二季 > 正文

福尔摩斯基本演绎法第二季(MP3+中英字幕) 第14集 罕见的史前化石

来源:可可英语 编辑:villa   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet
  


扫描二维码可进行跟读训练
  下载MP3到电脑  [F8键暂停/播放]   批量下载MP3到手机

Watson, I've just had an alarming conversation...

华生,我刚刚经历了一段令人担忧的对话
I was expecting to find my... housemate.
我以为是我的室友在这里
No problem.
没关系
I'm Gay.
我是盖伊(又指同性恋)
I'm not.
我不是
It's my name.
那是我的名字
Yes, of course.
当然
I'm Sherlock.
我是夏洛克
Hello.
你好
I also am... gay.
我也是...同性恋
So, you know, saves time.
所以这名字也节约时间
How efficient.
效率很高啊
Welcome to my home.
欢迎来我家
I see you've met Gay.
原来你见到盖伊了啊
Would you excuse us for a moment... Gay?
能让我们单独说两句吗,盖伊
Randy is fighting off the urge to relapse,
兰迪正在跟复吸的欲望作斗争
so I'm leaving to accompany him to a meeting.
所以我要陪他去参加互助会
Oh. I'm sorry to hear that.
很遗憾听到这个消息
What's bothering him?
他怎么了
He's a drug addict.
他是个瘾君子
Um, I-I see that you're, uh,
我发现你在
looking into my trunk of unsolved cases.
看我的那些没破的旧案子
Yes. You told me to look into it in my spare time.
你让我没事的时候看看的
I think I might have found something
我觉得我可能
in the Doug Newberg file.
在道格·纽伯格的卷宗里找到了线索
You remember the case, right?
你还记得那个案子吧
He was shot in his home in Riverdale.
他在河谷区的家中被枪杀
Uh, the place was ransacked,
他家被仔细搜查过
police found the killer's DNA,
警方找到了凶手的DNA
but they never found a match.
但一直没有找到匹配者
Yes. No, uh, I remember it well.
对,我记得很清楚
Well, uh, fairly well. Vaguely.
挺清楚的,有点模糊了
Oh. I figured you were using,
我发现你那时在嗑药
because your notes were really disorganized.
因为你的笔记非常杂乱无章
Newberg was a philanderer.
纽伯格是个情种
I was investigating the possibility
我当时正在调查
that he had been murdered by a man he had cuckolded.
杀他的人是不是被他戴绿帽子的男人
What have you learned?
你发现什么了
Well, you remember this?
你还记得这个吗
Yeah. I mean, don't expect me to translate.
记得,但别指望我给你翻译
I wrote that,
那是我写的
but I have no idea what I meant.
但我完全不知道我写了什么
Oh, okay, well, I figured that your marker
好吧,我发现你的记号笔在这里漏水了
exploded right here. I wanted to see what was under
我想知道墨迹下面是什么
the ink blotches, so I put some nail polish remover
所以我在上面涂了一些卸甲油
and then some black coffee over it.
和一些黑咖啡
You use black coffee to get rid of stains?
你用黑咖啡来去除污渍吗
Yes, of course. The acid in the coffee breaks down the marker.
当然,咖啡中的酸可以溶解记号笔的墨迹
Have you never cleaned a whiteboard?
你从来没有清理过白板吗
So, look at this wall.
看看这面墙
All of it is gray except
除了这块黑色的大石头
for this big black stone. It stood out to me,
其他部分都是灰色的,它引起了我的注意
so I tracked down Gay.
所以我找到了盖伊
She's a geology fellow at NYU.
她是纽约大学的地质学老师
I asked her to take a look.
我让她来看一看
It's interesting.
挺有意思的
Tough to tell from the photo.
从照片很难看出什么
But I think I see some striations on this rock,
但我觉得我看到石头上有一些条纹
and that would mean that...
那也许意味着...
It's dug up from well beneath the surface of the earth.
它是从地下的井里被挖出来的
Yeah, well, can't say for sure without seeing it in person,
如果不亲眼看到就没法确认
so we're gonna go to Riverdale, see if it's still there.
所以我们要去河谷区看看它还在不在
Fascinating. I'll join you.
有意思,我跟你们一起去
Um... Randy?
那兰迪呢
I know you're my sponsor and not my shrink.
我知道你是我的担保人而不是心理医生
It's just... we have, like,
只是...在互助会开始前
20 minutes before the meeting starts.
我们还有二十分钟
Is it okay if I tell you what's going on?
我能告诉你发生什么事了吗
You know what? It's okay.
算了,没关系的
You're right. This isn't about therapy.
你是对的,这跟治疗无关
Your sobriety is important to me,
你的戒毒对我来说很重要
and...
而且...
this is important to your sobriety, so...
这事对你的戒毒来说很重要
So, it's Eve.
是伊芙的事
We used to live together for, like, two years.
我们曾经同居过大概两年
First time I got high, it was with her.
我第一次嗑药就是跟她一起
Last time I got high, it was with her.
我上一次嗑药也是跟她一起
I couldn't get sober till she left town.
直到她离开我才开始戒毒
Only, now she's back.
可是,她现在回来了
Says she wants me to help her get clean.
说她想让我帮她戒毒
She wants to... live with me while she kicks.
她想在她戒毒期间跟我住在一起
So a, uh...
所以...
practicing drug addict wants to move in with you?
一个还在吸毒的瘾君子想来跟你住
Look, I know it's a bad idea.
我知道这不是个好主意
Why do you think I'm so stressed?
不然你觉得我为什么压力这么大
Sorry, you-you... you want my advice?
抱歉,你是想要我的建议吗
I don't know. We have some time before the meeting.
我不知道,离互助会还有一点时间
Well, as it happens,
碰巧的是
I'm more familiar than I should be
我对危险女人所具有的
with the allure of a dangerous woman.
诱惑力非常熟悉
So I'm qualified when I say, uh,
所以我够格这么说
you must cut this Eve out of your life entirely.
你得让这位伊芙彻底离开你的生活
I should just turn my back on her?
我就直接不理她吗
Your sobriety is paramount.
对你来说戒毒是最紧要的
And it may be too fragile to withstand her influence.
有她在你身边,这一点就很难做到
Is that what you did with your woman?
你就是这样对你女人的吗
It's what's best.
这样最好
You sure we can just prowl around in his backyard?
你确定我们可以偷溜进这家后院
People live here.
有人住这儿的
Nobody's home.
没人在家
Anyway, I'm sure they want us to catch
他们肯定也希望我们
whoever killed the guy who used to live here, right?
抓到杀害上任屋主的凶手吧
Oh, still here.
还在这儿呢
You see these white layers here? That's chalk.
看到这一层层白色吗,这是白垩
This is marine limestone. If I had to guess,
这是海相灰岩,要我猜的话
I'd say it's really old.
我会说它很古老了
How old?
多古老
Chalk deposits are typical of the Cretaceous era.
白垩沉积是白垩纪特有的
That's 65 million years ago.
那就是6500万年前
Looks like it's part of this wall, huh?
看起来像矮墙的一部分
Oh, no, these rocks are purely decorative.
不,这些石头仅用作装饰
Somebody put this here.
而这块是被人刻意放在这儿的
I'll tell you something else:
再跟你说件事
it was cut out of the ground
这岩石是从地里挖出来的
and field dressed for transport.
为运输特意做成这样
They usually do that with archeological specimens.
通常都是考古标本才这样做
So you think there's something in there?
你觉得这里面有东西
Maybe.
可能吧
So now what?
现在怎么办
Well, you're not holding a large rock,
你没抱着一块大岩石
so I take it you found someone to do the CT scan for us.
那你是找到人帮我们做断层扫描了吧
Yes. Gay?
是的,盖伊呢
She bailed when I asked her to help me steal it.
我请她帮忙偷石头时,她跑了
Randy?
兰迪呢
Still sober. And you?
没有旧习复发,那你呢
You know, my life has been carefully constructed
我的生活有规有矩
so I don't have to do things like talk to people
所以我不必跟人谈论
about their former romantic partners.
前女友之类的事
And yet here we are.
但事已至此
I, uh...
I looked at your rock.
我看过你的石头了
I-I think you're gonna want to see this.
你可能想来看看这个
I withdraw my earlier skepticism.
我收回先前的怀疑
The dinosaur in Doug Newberg's backyard
道格·纽伯格后院里的恐龙
did indeed escape my notice.
确实躲过了我的眼睛
Magnificent, isn't she?
是不是很美
We pulled her out of the ground in the Wind River Range.
我们把她从风河岭的地里挖了出来
Agnes here is the world's only
艾格尼丝是世上仅存的
complete Dimetrodon skeleton.
完整异齿龙骨骼标本
I'm, uh, Jerry Thomas.
我是杰瑞·托马斯
I'm the curator of the fossil collection here.
这儿化石馆藏的管理人
Sherlock Holmes.
我是夏洛克·福尔摩斯
This is my associate Joan Watson.
这是我同事乔恩·华生
Well, my assistant tells me you're with the NYPD,
我的助手说你们是纽约警局的人
and you think you found a fossil.
你们自认为发现了一块化石
Okay.
好吧
Is this real?
这是真的吗
We believe it is.
应该是
Okay, this is amazing.
太赞了
This looks to me like a Nanotyrannus.
我看这好像是矮暴龙
Think of it like a miniature T. Rex.
算是小型霸王龙吧
It's incredibly rare.
非常罕见
I think this is a full skeleton.
这好像是完整的骨骼
It's an infant.
是幼龙
Where do you think it came from?
你觉得这是哪来的
You told my assistant there was a chalk striation
你跟我的助手说在你发现它的岩石里
on the rock you found it in?
有白垩切面纹
Yes.
是的
Okay, that's marine limestone.
这是海相灰岩
We haven't found any of that in a dig
已经很久没在国内
in the States in quite some time.
挖到这样的化石了
Most recent deposits come from Mongolia.
最近的化石都来自蒙古
Now, I can confirm that
我看到那块岩石
when I look at the rock,
就可以确定
but if it was found there, then it belongs to them.
但如果是在蒙古发现的,那就是他们的
So someone smuggled it into the States.
有人把化石偷运到美国
How much would that be worth?
这化石值多少钱
I would say high seven figures.
七位数以上
Low eight.
八位数以下
Person that killed Doug Newberg ransacked his place.
杀害道格·纽伯格的凶手搜了他家
Maybe they were looking for that.
也许就是在找这块化石
So you're working on
你新作了一幅拼贴画
a new collage in honor of Doug Newberg?
来纪念道格·纽伯格吗
I had Detective Bell send me everything
我让贝尔警探把纽约警局所有
the NYPD has on the man.
有关此人的资料都传来了
I've been through my original notes,
我已经看过我原来的笔记
most of their files.
以及他们大部分档案
Doug Newberg, rest his soul,
道格·纽伯格,愿他安息
was a rather dull person.
真是个无趣的人
I can't find anything which connects him to smuggling.
完全找不到他跟走私有关的线索
Except for the dinosaur in his backyard.
除了他后院里的那块恐龙化石
I'm trying to immerse myself
我正在深入了解
in the particulars of Mr. Newberg's life.
纽伯格先生的人生经历
If he was not involved with the black market,
如果他没在黑市做过买卖
perhaps someone in his orbit was.
也许他认识的某个人做过
Hey, how is it getting back into a case you were working on
重新接手你吸毒时办的案子
when you were using?
感觉如何
Interesting.
很有趣
There were times, before I ended up in the gutter,
在我还没彻底沦陷于毒品之前
where I functioned extremely well with my addiction.
我的毒瘾曾助我屡破奇案
In spite of the fact
尽管以前
that I accepted payment from Mr. Newberg's parents,
纽伯格父母付了我薪水
this investigation is very clearly
但关于此事的调查很明显
not one of those times.
并不尽人意
I failed to give the man my best efforts,
为了这个人的案子我并未尽全力
and that is not a pleasant thing to consider.
一想起这事我就浑身不舒服
Who is it?
谁的短信
It's Randy.
是兰迪的
His gyno-difficulties persist.
他的女性困扰还是没解决
A man sits before me.
这家伙坐在我对面
His continued sobriety may or may not hang on
他到底能不能坚持戒毒
whether I allow him to air his issues.
跟我是否让他倾诉困扰根本毫无关系
I choose the decent path,
也许看起来让人不怎么舒服
distasteful as it may seem,
但我选择了正确的处理方式
and I hear him out.
我听完了他的话
The Rubicon is crossed.
一切就此决定
I am now a confidante.
我现在成他的知己了
If I cut him off now,
如果我现在不管他
do I not potentially put his recovery at risk?
应该不利于他戒毒吧
What are you texting him?
你给他回了什么
"You'll do better next time"
下次就好了
This rock wall is very clearly not
很明显,这堵石头墙并不是
a random hiding place.
被随机选作藏匿地点的
It was very clearly chosen and very carefully...
选择它是经过慎重考虑之后
How on earth did you make a career dealing with addicts?
真不知道你是怎么靠瘾君子养活自己的
Well, it's pretty late. You could just call him.
现在已经很晚了,给他打个电话就行了
No.
不行
Okay, well, I will work on
那好吧,你出去的时候
the collage while you are out.
我会试着把线索拼起来
It's not a collage.
这才不是拼图
I don't do crafts.
我不做手工
What time did you get in last night?
你昨晚什么时候回来的
I was with Randy until
我一直陪着兰迪
well into the evening.
直到深夜
Well, you're gonna need those.
你最好把那个穿上
After breakfast, we're gonna get ice cream.
吃完早饭,我们要去买冰淇淋
It's the dead of winter.
现在可是冬天
Why would we want to go for ice cream?
为什么要跑去吃冰淇淋
Exactly.
说得没错
That's Diego Salcedo.
这是迭戈·萨尔塞多
Doug Newberg was his best man at his wedding.
他结婚时,道格·纽伯格是他的伴郎
Diego has a record.
迭戈有过犯罪记录
Convicted of small stuff,
被判过一些小罪
but eight years ago,
但八年前
he was convicted on three different counts
三个不同的法庭
of criminal possession of stolen property.
都判定他非法持有盗窃物品
Case ended in mistrial.
最后都宣布判决无效
I looked into what he's up to now.
我查了他现在的工作
He owns a fleet of ice cream trucks
他拥有一支冰淇淋卡车车队
that operate all over New York.
在纽约各个角落做买卖
I checked with the city,
我查过市里的记录
and the trucks have current permits.
这些卡车都拥有有效许可证
And this seems to mean something to you.
而你觉得这里有什么古怪
It's the middle of winter.
现在可是冬天
Why would he be running a fleet of ice cream trucks?
为什么他要经营一支冰淇淋卡车车队
The guy that I spoke to
我查记录时
said that most of the operators
那人告诉我,大多数运营商
let their permits lapse during the winter.
在冬天都不会补办许可证
So why pay
如果一支圣代都卖不出去
if you're not selling any sundaes?
为什么还要花钱买许可证呢
Half of the trucks are idle
一半的卡车被闲置
and half of them are permanent.
这中间的一半根本就没动过
And the ones that are running?
那些四处做买卖的卡车呢
They're licensed to cover routes
他们被批准在绝大多数
that are mostly industrial areas.
工业区做生意
These industrial areas, do they include ports?
这些工业区包括港口吗
Yes.
包括
You think Diego Salcedo is using ice cream trucks
你认为迭戈·萨尔塞多利用冰淇淋卡车
to move smuggled goods around the city?
在市里四处运送走私品吗
Well, it could explain why Doug Newberg
这至少能解释为什么会有一块化石
wound up with a fossil in his yard.
出现在道格·纽伯格的后院里
So you think this guy
你们认为
had something to do with Newberg's murder?
纽伯格被杀跟这家伙有关吗
We don't know.
现在还不清楚
But if he knows where the fossil came from,
但如果他知道那块化石是哪来的
then he can get us closer to a solution than we are now.
他就能帮我们进一步接近真相
Has anyone claimed responsibility for the Nanotyrannus yet?
有人来认领那块矮暴龙化石了吗
No. Why?
还没,怎么了
He wants to take it home.
他自己想要那块化石
Sorry.
抱歉
Immigration and Customs Enforcement
过段时间这块化石
are stopping by later to, uh, take custody.
将移交给移民和海关执法局保管
If it's really from Mongolia, they'll return it.
如果真是从蒙古来的,他们会归还的
Looks like we got a customer.
看起来有买家来了
A lot of money for a popsicle.
对于一根冰棍来说也太多钱了
All right, everybody stand by.
大家各就各位
Copy that, copy that.
收到,收到
All units, all units...
所有单位,所有单位...
Okay, that's it, let's go!
好,就现在,行动
That's the order. All units move!
执行命令,所有单位行动
Hey, guys.
嗨,伙计们
What gives?
这是干嘛
I was just returning some unsold inventory
我只是把没卖完的存货
to my distributors.
还给批发商们
Oh, yeah?
是嘛
No customs stamp.
没有海关印章
Cuban?
古巴来的吗
I don't understand.
我不明白
You put a tail on me
你们跟踪我
and you arrest me.
然后又逮捕我
All so you can ask me a bunch of questions
难道就是为了问我一大堆关于在我哥们
about a T. Rex you found at my buddy Doug's house?
道格家发现的霸王龙化石的问题
It's a Nanotyrannus.
是矮暴龙的化石
And we're pretty sure you put it there.
而且我们很肯定是你放在那儿的
The guys you were delivering those cigars to
你走私的这些雪茄的收货人们
are ready to tell us about all the shipments
已经准备交代你为他们运输的
you processed for them.
所有货物了
The counts are gonna pile up.
对你的指控会越来越多
We say you're our lead suspect in the murder of Doug Newberg.
我们认为你是谋杀道格·纽伯格的头号嫌犯
Could mean the difference between making bail or not.
所以你的态度可能会决定你是否能被保释
Wait, what are you nuts? I grew up with Doug.
你们疯了吗,我和道格一起长大的
He was my best man. I didn't kill him.
他是我婚礼的伴郎,我没有杀他
Do you have an alibi?
你有不在场证明吗
I don't know. That was what?
谁记得,都多久前的事了
Three years ago?
三年前吗
Captain, sorry to interrupt.
警监,抱歉打扰了
Two guys from Immigrations and Customs just got here.
两个移民和海关部门的人来了
They say you were expecting them.
他们说你在等他们
Uh, tell them I need a few minutes.
告诉他们再等我一会儿
How did the fossil get
化石是怎么跑到
in your friend Doug's backyard?
你朋友道格家后院的
All right, look.
听着
Right before Doug got killed, I took a delivery of a rock.
就在道格被杀前,我走私了一块石头
I don't even know what was inside it.
我根本就不知道里面有什么
But the buyer--
但是那个买家
he fell out at the last minute.
在最后时刻和我谈崩了
And I was pretty sure somebody federal
而且我十分确定有联邦探员
was watching my place, so I couldn't bring it there.
在监视我家,所以我不能把赃物带回去
So I asked Doug if I could keep it at his place,
我就问道格能不能先放在他那儿
just for a couple of days.
就几天而已
Next day, he gets killed.
第二天,他就被杀了
Did I think that the two events were connected?
我有没有想过这两件事有关联呢
Yeah, of course, somebody must've been following me.
当然有想过,肯定有人在跟踪我
But I always thought that whoever killed him
但我一直以为杀他的人
took the rock, too.
也拿走了那块石头
You didn't know it was in his backyard?
你不知道化石在他的后院吗
I gave it to him in his garage.
我在车库里给他的
I mean, the guy must've stashed the thing in there himself.
一定是凶手自己藏在那里的
I didn't kill Doug.
我没有杀道格
I didn't kill Doug-I mean, you can take my DNA.
我没有杀道格,你们可以验我的DNA
You can hook me up to a lie detector.
也可以对我进行测谎
Whatever you need.
想干嘛都行
Volunteered his DNA rather cheerfully, didn't he?
他很乐意提供自己的DNA 对吧
Whoever murdered Newberg
杀纽伯格的人想要
wanted that skeleton, but they never found it.
那块骨骼化石,但他们没有找到
We did. And?
我们找到了,所以呢
You want to put it on the black market,
你想把它放在黑市上
see who comes calling.
看谁会来买
Captain, I got a guy from I.C.E.
警监,有个移民和海关执法局的人
hovering around my desk.
在我桌子旁转来转去
Something about a fossil.
是有关化石的事情
What's with these guys?
这些家伙们什么情况
I told them I need a few minutes.
我告诉过他们等我一会儿的
Uh, it's just one.
只有一个人
And he just got here.
他刚到
Yeah, they, uh, they signed for the thing, like,
对,他们大概
I don't know, like, ten minutes ago?
十分钟前签的这个
You were supposed to wait until I got here.
你应该等到我来了以后再处理的
These guys are federal.
这些家伙是联邦政府的人
You know how they are about sitting around.
你知道他们不喜欢干等着的
Did you confirm their credentials?
你确认过他们的证件吗
I'm guessing that you didn't,
我猜你没有
because I got another I.C.E. Agent out in the bullpen,
因为有另一位移民和海关执法局的特工在外面
and Detective Bell says that he checks out.
而且贝尔警探已经核实过他的身份了
What?
怎么回事
You just presided over the theft
你刚刚协助了别人偷窃证物
of a piece of evidence, which also happens to be
而且那还是一块
a priceless archeological treasure.
价值连城的考古宝物
And off they go with their Nanotyrannus fossil.
这里就是他们带着矮暴龙化石走的画面
The whole affair does have a certain spirit of derring-do.
整件事确实需要很大的勇气
One almost has to admire it.
不禁让人心生佩服了
I just had a very long conversation
我刚和移民和海关执法局的同事
with my counterpart at I.C.E.
谈了很久
They're gonna help us with the investigation into the robbery.
他们会帮助我们调查抢劫案
We've got forensics on the paperwork they left behind,
我们从他们留下的文件上取了一些证据
and we put a BOLO out on the thieves.
而且对窃贼发了全境通告
Well, whoever they are,
无论他们是谁
they command extraordinary resources.
他们掌握着非同一般的资源
Firstly, they had to know that we'd recovered the fossil.
首先,他们得知道我们找到了化石
There's been no media coverage, so that implies that they've
现在还没有新闻报道过,所以这说明
cultivated a source within Immigration and Customs.
他们在移民海关执法局有线人
They created false documents that were convincing enough
他们伪造的文件非常逼真,骗过了
to fool a veteran policeman, and they timed their operation
经验丰富的警察,他们还算好了时间
so that they arrived before the real I.C.E. agent.
能比真的移民海关执法局人员抢先一步
What are they even gonna do with stolen dinosaur bones?
他们要偷来的恐龙化石有什么用
It's not like you can unload it in some dark alley.
这不是在随便什么地方都能装卸的
Yeah, you have to be wired
是的,你得监听
into a network of potential bidders.
有可能竞标的所有买家
People who are willing to spend millions of dollars
那些愿意花几百万购买
on illegal purchases.
非法商品的人
The question we need to ask is: who's the biggest game in town
现在的问题是,谁是这座城市里
when it comes to smuggled antiquities?
最大的走私古物的人
We find that person, we'll find the thieves.
只要找到这个人,就能找到那些贼
And I'll bet they're connected to murder of Doug Newberg.
我相信他们跟道格·纽伯格的谋杀一定有关系
We've got Diego's list of people
我们已经拿到了迭戈列出的
that knew he was driving the fossil around.
知道他运送化石的所有人的名单
Plus, I'll get the Port Authority
而且,我会联系港务局
to cough up their files on high-end smugglers.
让他们给出高级走私犯的文件
We shall see if C has any thoughts on the matter.
我们应该问问C对这事有什么看法
Okay, so you only know her as C,
你只知道她叫C
and you've never actually met her,
而且从来没见过她
but you think she can help us?
但你觉得她能帮到我们
I know her only as C... through choice.
我选择只用C来称呼她是有原因的
I could find out her real name
当然,如果我想知道她的真名的话
if I wanted to, obviously.
我一定能查出来
But, uh, using initials is something of a convention
但是以首字母相称符合我们
of our mutual hobby.
共同的爱好
Which is?
什么爱好
C and I engage in prurient correspondence.
C和我写过一些比较淫秽的信件
We have done for quite some time.
而且写过很多次
You write each other dirty letters?
你们彼此用下流的信件交流
That is a uniquely prudish way of putting it.
虽然这么说显得假正经
But yes, we do.
不过你说的没错
Erotica is a fascinating literary genre.
色情文学是一种非常迷人的文学体裁
I first encountered C on message boards dedicated to analyzing
我第一次遇见C是在一个专门分析
the correspondence of D.H. Lawrence.
D·H·劳伦斯通信内容的论坛上
It turns out, she is a master of the form.
原来她是写这种体裁作品的高手
And so how exactly is your naughty pen pal
那你这个风骚的笔友对我们
supposed to help us?
会有什么帮助呢
Well, we don't exchange much details
虽然我们没怎么说过
about our private lives, but I do know
各自的私人生活,但是我知道
that she's an executive at a top auction house.
她是一家高级拍卖行的经理
And like most high-end houses, they have a problem losing
像大多数高级拍卖行一样
inventory at the ports when they're bringing
他们在把商品运回国内时
merchandise into the country.
经常会在港口把货物清单弄丢
So what are we supposed to be looking for here?
那我们在这怎么才能找到她呢
Someone carrying The Story of O?
看谁拿着《O的故事》吗
I'm not entirely sure.
我也不是很确定
You think that's her?
你觉得那就是她吗
She's described that scarf
在她写的一封信中
in one of her letters.
她描述过那条围巾
Do I look as you'd imagined?
我和你想像中的一样吗
Hard to say.
很难说
The parts of you that keep my imagination occupied are
我想像中的你的那部分
fully clothed at the moment.
现在被衣服盖得严严实实
You have a rare gift, madam.
女士,你有很特殊的天赋
It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance.
很高兴能认识你
Thanks for meeting me in person.
非常感谢你能来亲自见我
I'm half-convinced my assistant listens to all my calls.
我不太相信助手会接听所有打给我的电话
But I don't know if I'll be able to help you.
但我不知道我能不能帮到你
I'm an auctioneer, not a smuggler.
我是一名拍卖师,不是走私犯
Surely you've rubbed elbows with a few,
你做了这么久的生意
after a lifetime in the trade.
一定也遇到过一些
There is one name.
有一个人
Supposedly has a stranglehold on the trade.
他的交易量应该不是很大
He's a bit of a myth actually.
他其实还挺神秘的
The employees at our warehouses always joke
我们仓库的员工经常开玩笑说
that if they wanted to make real money,
如果真想赚大钱
they'd sell our goods over to him.
就应该把我们的商品卖给他
I suspect a few of them have done it.
我怀疑真的有几个人这么干了
You have a name?
你知道他的名字吗
It's a bit silly.
他的名字挺可笑的
Apparently, he calls himself "The Magpie."
他管自己叫"喜鹊"
Any idea how I might get in touch with him?
你知道我怎么才能联系上他吗
As I understand it, you have to have something that he wants.
我想,如果你有他想要的东西
Then he... finds you.
那么...他会来找你的
Hey, you back there?
你回来了吗
Mind you don't disturb the ink.
希望你不要打扰我喷墨
Well, obviously, you're gonna make me ask.
看来你还是得让我问
We require a shiny bauble
我们需要一件很特别的东西
to attract the attention of the Magpie.
来吸引喜鹊的注意
So I'm making one.
所以我正在制作一件
In 1517, Martin Luther
在1517年,马丁·路德
nailed his 95 Theses to the door of Castle Church
把95条论纲钉在了威滕伯格的
in Wittenberg, and so was born the Reformation.
城堡教堂上,因此才造成了宗教改革
Oh, yeah. I took history in college.
对啊,我在大学也学过历史
Did you know he also mailed
你知道他还邮寄过
several handwritten copies
在同一天邮寄过
to notable figures on the very same day?
几份手稿给当时的杰出人物
It's long been rumored that Luther
传言说路德
labored over several rough drafts of the document.
曾起草过数份草稿
You can imagine what a copy might be worth.
你能想象出那该有多值钱
Oh, so you're writing a fake 95 Theses.
所以你在伪造《95条论纲》
And then what? I'm going to pose
然后呢,我打算
as someone who has recently inherited it,
假装成刚继承这份财产
and has no idea of what its worth.
但却不清楚其价值的傻子
There are websites which track
现在有专门跟踪
the availabilities of such things.
这种事情的网站
I suppose eBay is always an option.
我想易贝网就不错
Is this written in English?
这是用英文写的吗
The first few pages are in Latin.
前几页是拉丁文
It doesn't have to withstand close scrutiny.
它不需要经得起近距离检查
It just needs to get us in the vicinity of the Magpie.
只要能让"喜鹊"上钩就行
"42-Thaddeus is hereby declared the best apostle
"第四十二条,在此宣布犹大为最佳门徒
and those who disagree shall be vigorously tickled"
持异见者应被施以痒痒刑罚"
What's up?
怎么了
I found a solution for my Randy problem.
兰迪的问题我找到解决办法了
What? And that's upsetting you?
是吗,那怎么不太高兴的样子
He mentioned Eve's last name last night.
他昨晚提过伊芙的姓
She's been out of town for more than a year.
她离开这里都快一年了
She's a heroin addict.
她又是个瘾君子
It's not difficult to track her movements,
查到她的行踪并不难
nor is it unreasonable to speculate that
而且也不难推断出
she may have broken the law during her sabbatical.
她休息这段时间里肯定做过违法的事
I've just heard from my contact in Chicago,
我从芝加哥的线人那里打听到
and it turns out that Eve Hurley
伊芙·赫尔利在那里
has several open warrants there.
还有几份公开的通缉令
All I need do is notify the relevant authorities,
只要我通知有关部门
and voila-Randy's problem is solved.
那么瞬间,兰迪的问题就解决了
You're just gonna pull her offstage with a hook?
你打算不择手段地把她赶走吗
No, of course not.
不,当然不
She's a drug addict, I can't very well
她就是个瘾君子,我没法
make her my victim as well.
让她成为我的牺牲品
I realized I couldn't follow through
在我找到我的线人时
the moment I reached out to my contact.
我就意识到我没办法这么做
That is why I'm upset.
所以我才难受
A perfectly good solution has to be chucked on account of...
不得不舍弃一个完美的解决方案,就因为
Compassion?
同情
Your expression-- what does it mean?
你的表情,是什么意思
There's no expression.
没什么表情啊
Yes, there is. You're leaving something unsaid.
不,不对,你话中有话
I think I know what you're thinking.
我知道你在想什么
That I'd like to make dinner in peace?
我就想安静地做顿饭
If Randy's gonna stay sober,
如果兰迪想要戒毒
he needs to learn to deal with stressors.
他需要学会如何应对压力
If outside parties are removing them from his life,
如果外界力量帮他去掉这些压力
then he's not developing that capacity.
他就永远无法得到这种能力
He needs to cut her off, that's blatantly obvious.
他需要自己远离她,这太显而易见了
Yet, I've indulged his desire
然而我一直在放纵他
to review the minutiae of their relationship.
重温他们感情的细枝末节
You know, I know you hate this word,
我知道你讨厌这个词
but you've already been nice.
但你已经表现出了"友善"
You heard him out. You gave him good advice.
你耐心听他说话,给他有益的建议
Why not just tell him you won't talk about it with him anymore?
为什么不跟他直说你不想再谈论这事呢
Because I fear that he will relapse if I'm firm with him.
因为我怕强硬的态度会让他毒瘾复发
And I don't want that to happen, not to my sponsee.
我不想这样,至少不是在我担保的人身上
I'm being vain.
让我显得毫无用处
It's obvious that I'm not in control of Randy's addiction
很显然我对于兰迪毒瘾的控制
any more than I'm in control of my own.
至多只能和我控制自己一样
Interesting discussion. Thank you.
有趣的对话,多谢
I mostly just chopped shallots.
我只是在切葱罢了
Hey, man, I'm sorry.
我很抱歉
I know this is getting old,
我知道这事太老套了
but she asked me for money last night...
但她昨晚向我借钱
Randall, this has got to stop!
兰德尔,这事到此为止
I know, I know. I'm just trying to figure out...
我知道,我只是想弄明白
No, no, no.
不,不对
There's nothing to figure out, okay?
没什么要搞清楚的事,明白吗
Your ex-girlfriend is a practicing drug addict.
你前女友就是个戒不了毒的瘾君子
She has absolutely no place in your life.
她不该存在于你的生活中
I've tried to give you leeway
我一直给你留有余地
to arrive at this conclusion on your own,
让你自己想明白这件事
but this doesn't seem to be happening.
但现在看来你自己是想不清楚的
That is my assessment of the situation, okay?
这就是我对这件事的意见,明白吗
So there's nothing else for us to discuss!
所以对这件事我们没什么好谈的了
Okay.
好的
Okay.
好的
Just consider what I have, uh, suggested...
好好想想我给你的建议
...and know that it comes from a place of concern
这是我在考虑到你和你的康复后
for you and your recovery.
认真给出的建议
No, I know.
我明白
I'll be right back, okay?
我一会儿回来,好吗
I'm gonna run to the bathroom.
我去个厕所
Watson.
华生
Hey, what happened to you?
你怎么了
You were gone before I woke up.
我还没醒你就出去了
Randall.
兰德尔
You have to get off the phone?
你不方便接电话吗
If I need to end the conversation,
如果我要结束对话
I will just hang up!
我会直接挂掉的
Right.
没错
Listen, I checked that, uh, dummy e-mail account you set up
是这样,我查看了一下你拍卖的
for your fake 95 Theses thing.
假95条论纲的联系邮箱
Bunch of people have been in touch.
有很多人联系过我们
Most of them seem like regular collectors.
大多数人看来只是普通收藏者
But one of them came in with no name attached.
但有一个未署名的人
The guy says that he facilitates discreet transactions
说他可以提供便利而隐蔽的交易方案
that may not be subject to taxes.
用来逃避税费
Sounds like a black market sale.
听起来像是黑市交易
He also says that he's the only one who can hook us in
他还说只有他可以帮我们
to a network of truly high-end buyers.
联系到真正的高端买家
Seems like the Magpie guy to me.
我觉得他很像"喜鹊"
Respond. Set up a meeting for him to inspect the theses.
回复他,安排一次见面让他检查论纲
Okay. Do you want me to give...
好,需要我提醒
...Captain Gregson a heads-up?
格雷森警监一声吗
Hello?
还在吗
Could I have a cup of tea, please?
请给我一杯茶,好吗
Of course. Sorry.
当然可以,不好意思
I thought you guys weren't ordering anything.
我还以为你们不会点东西呢
Why would you think that?
为什么这么想
Your friend just left.
你朋友刚走了
So he just left?
他就直接走了吗
Without so much as a "By your leave."
都没有知会我一声
It's a bit disconcerting.
让人有点尴尬
It's certainly the last time I take your advice.
这绝对是我最后一次听取你的建议了
Advice? I was chopping shallots.
什么建议,我当时在切葱呢
Did you call him?
你打给他了吗
He's not answering.
他没接
Well, maybe he just needs some time.
可能他只是需要点时间
Okay, so what is our plan here?
好吧,现在我们的计划是什么
We're just gonna go there and ask him
我们就这样过去,问他
if he murdered Doug Newberg?
是否杀害了道格·纽伯格吗
We're gathering information.
我们要收集信息
Do you think he really goes by "Magpie"?
你觉得他真的叫"喜鹊"吗
Well, I suppose we'll find out.
我们会弄清楚的
Hello?
有人吗
Mr. Magpie?
"喜鹊"先生
Look at this.
看这个
Look like chalk striations.
看起来像白垩的粉痕
They are.
就是
This is the rock that used to contain the nanotyrannus.
这是用来装矮暴龙化石的石头
Someone smashed it to pieces
有人把它摔碎了
and destroyed the fossil.
然后毁坏了化石
He may have called himself Magpie
他可能自称"喜鹊"
but his real name was Malcolm Turner.
但他的真名是马尔科姆·特纳
The bullets didn't finish him off,
子弹没有致命
so the murderer hit him in the back of the head
所以凶手用某种棍棒
with some kind of club, huh?
从脑后击打他
M.E. thinks there's epithelial cells
法医发现在特纳的背上
on Turner's back and at the dinosaur remains,
和恐龙化石上有些表皮细胞
so it looks like we got the killer's DNA.
所以看来我们能拿到凶手的DNA
This person murders Malcolm Turner,
这个人谋杀了马尔科姆·特纳
and then takes the time to willfully destroy a fossil
然后花时间故意损坏了
worth millions of dollars.
价值数百万的化石
Why would anyone do that?
为什么要这么做
Maybe it was one of Turner's competitors.
也许他是特纳的竞争者
But I can't see why anyone familiar
但我不明白一个在黑市
with the invisible hand of the market
混得很熟的人为什么
would destroy something, obliterate something of such value.
要破坏甚至损毁这么值钱的东西
There's an interesting motive hidden here somewhere.
其中一定有一个不为人知的动机
We just need to root it out.
我们得把它挖出来
Gay?
盖伊
Why is Gay asleep on our couch?
为什么盖伊睡在我们的沙发上
I worked her hard.
她工作太累了
Don't be territorial about your geologist, Watson.
不要排斥你找来的地质学家嘛
I was in need of one this evening.
我今晚需要她
I'm guessing that's why you're blasting
我猜这就是你为何在凌晨四点
"Marriage of Figaro" at 4:00 in the morning.
还大声放《费加罗的婚礼》这支曲子
You don't even like opera.
你都不喜欢歌剧
No, of course I don't.
对,我当然不喜欢
All the tedious histrionics.
所有冗长做作的东西我都不喜欢
I was using it to stay awake.
我是用它来保持清醒的
I believe I have learned why
我觉得我已经知道为什么
the Magpie's killer destroyed the nanotyrannus.
杀害"喜鹊"的人要毁坏矮暴龙化石了
"Dead Clade Walking."
"大灭绝的幸存者"
A "Clade" is a term for a group of animals
"幸存者"指的是从灭种性的灾难中
which has survived an extinction-level event.
存活下来的一个动物的群体
It's widely acknowledged in paleontological circles
古生物学圈子里普遍认为
that the extinction of the dinosaurs was brought about
恐龙的灭绝是由
by a comet striking the surface of the Earth
6600万年前彗星撞击地球表面
approximately 66 million years ago.
所引发的
The foundation of this belief is a layer of rock
这种观点建立的基础是
beneath the surface of the Earth
地表下面的一个岩石层
which has an abundance of rare metals
富含本该在彗星和小行星中
thought to be common in comets and asteroids
大量存在的稀有金属
called the "KT Boundary."
被称作"KT边界"
Yeah, I read about that somewhere.
是的,我在其他地方读到过
They only find dinosaur fossils below the KT Boundary, right?
只有KT边界下面才能发现恐龙化石,对吧
Mm. Apart from a few very rare exceptions, yes.
是的,只有极少数的例外
Stands to reason: if the dinosaurs were rendered extinct
显而易见,如果恐龙是因为彗星灭绝的
by the comet which created the KT Boundary,
而彗星创造了KT边界
you couldn't very well find their bones above it,
我们不太可能在其上面发现它们的尸骨
right?
是吧
Right.
是的
Right?
真的是吗
Maybe.
可能
A new generation of paleontologists has seized upon
新一代的古生物学家根据
the few fossils found above the KT Boundary to suggest
KT边界中找到的化石推断出
that some dinosaurs survived the comet's impact.
有些恐龙在彗星撞击后存活了下来
Like Martin Luther before them, they have dared
像马丁·路德一样
to challenge the orthodoxy of the institution
他们敢于向给他们饭碗的
which gives them their livelihood.
权威机构挑战
They call their theory "Dead Clade Walking."
他们把他们的理论称为"大灭绝的幸存者"
And it's enormously controversial in the field.
这在科学界引起了很大的争议
Okay, so maybe dinosaurs lived longer than we thought.
可能我们低估了恐龙主宰地球的时间
Why is that controversial?
为什么这会存在争议
Well, why is anything controversial?
为什么每件事都存在争议
These people need something to argue about,
因为人们需要争论一些事情
and "Dead Clade Walking" has yielded
而"大灭绝的幸存者"这个理论
a bumper crop of conflict.
引起了很大的争议
Well, sounds like a really good episode of Nova,
作为纪录片的内容似乎很有趣
but I'm not sure what it has to do with our investigation.
但我还是不知道这和我们的调查有什么关系
Rock the nanotyrannus was found in.
矮暴龙的化石也在其中
I decided to take a closer look at its composition.
我决定再进一步研究这个化合物
And Gay has confirmed that it seems to have
盖伊证实了它含有
certain geological features
特定的地质特征
which would suggest it was buried above the KT Boundary.
表明它被埋在KT边界之上
It would be the first complete skeleton found there.
这是那里发现的第一具完整骨骼
So it could have proven the theory?
所以这可能证明那个理论
Though we will never know.
但我们永远不会知道
Whoever destroyed the sample has made sure of that.
破坏样本的人确保了这一点
You think someone was willing to kill
你认为杀人动机是
just to keep "Dead Clade Walking" from being declared true?
为了阻止证明"大灭绝的幸存者"的真实性吗
Murders have been committed on the basis of far less.
凶手实施犯罪正是因此动机
Who would do that?
那个人会是谁
I don't know. Not yet.
目前还不知道
But I'm assembling a list of the city's most vocal opponents
但是我把对此理论反对声音最大的
to "Dead Clade Walking."
人名做了汇编
Seemed like a good place to start.
这是一个很好的入手点
You've all been asked here today because you represent
叫你们来是因为你们是对
the most strident opposition to "Dead Clade Walking."
"大灭绝的幸存者"反对最为激烈的人
You might be interested to know that we recently found
我们最近发现了一具很可能
a nanotyrannus skeleton that may have been buried
被埋在KT边界之上的矮暴龙骨架
well above the KT Layer.
你们或许会对此感兴趣
Unfortunately, the fossil was destroyed
不幸的是,化石被破坏了
and the person in possession of it was killed.
其所有者也被谋杀了
We believe someone with a vested interest in keeping
我们相信凶手心生杀机
"Dead Clade Walking" from being proven right
是想阻止"大灭绝的幸存者"
was behind the murder.
被证实
You think one of us did it?
你们怀疑是我们其中一人干的
Do I look like I'm running around planning murders?
我长得像精谋细划的凶手吗
We'd like each of you to volunteer a cheek swab,
我们想请你们志愿参加样本采集
and we'll test it against some DNA we found at the crime scene.
我们将比对现场发现的DNA样本
You don't have to agree, of course,
当然,你们可以拒绝
although you would be assisting
但你们可以帮助一项
an active homicide investigation if you do.
杀人案件的调查
Okay, whatever. This is silly.
好吧,无所谓,真够可笑
Problem?
有问题吗
With giving my DNA to the police? Yes.
把我的DNA给警方吗,是
I do have a problem with that.
我不愿意
Guy takes his privacy seriously.
这家伙很注重隐私
Yeah. His name is Ivan Kershavin.
他的名字是伊凡·克沙文
And perhaps our investigation just found a bit of focus.
可能我们有了调查的重点
Let's say this guy really did kill the Magpie.
假设他真的杀了喜鹊
He has to know we're watching him, right?
他肯定知道我们监视着他,不是吗
I mean, even if we use his social media
我是说,即使我们使用社交软件
to track down where he'll be today,
跟踪他今天的行程
you really think he's gonna throw away a tissue
他怎么可能会丢下一张纸巾
so we can get a DNA sample?
好让我们取到样本
Well, he wouldn't if he was a competent criminal.
如果他是个经验丰富的杀手他可能不会
But the good investigator never rules out
但是一个好的调查员不会排除
the possibility that one's quarry is a fool.
调查对象是傻瓜的可能性
Are you worried about Randy?
你在担心兰迪吗
No, I'm-I'm just checking to see if he's called, that's all.
没有,我只是看看他有没有打来电话
You know, if he has cut me off, it'll be a relief.
如果他跟我断绝关系,会是种解脱
Sponsorship is a risky investment
说实话,对于一个人的时间和经历来说
of one's time and energy, quite frankly.
做担保人是一项风险投资
Well, you can back off that Kershavin guy.
把对克沙文的调查先停了吧
We got the preliminary results from the DNA samples we took.
我们拿到了DNA样本的初步结果
There is a match for what we found at the scene.
有一个和犯罪现场样本匹配
It's Andrew Donnelly.
这个人是安德鲁·唐纳利
The guy in the wheelchair?
坐轮椅的那个人吗
Guy is smart enough to not talk until his lawyer gets here.
他很聪明,要等到律师来了才开口
I know DNA is DNA,
我知道DNA匹配很有说服力
but I'm having a hard time getting my head around that guy
但是我还是想象不出
shooting a career criminal
这样的一个人射中职业罪犯
and then clubbing him to death.
并把他打死的场景
He gave us his DNA.
他主动给了我们DNA
He knew a refusal would make him a suspect.
他知道如果拒绝会被怀疑
Perhaps he's hoping we were bluffing.
可能他希望我们只是虚张声势
I know the visual's incongruous, but...
我知道看起来很难以想象,但是...
Andrew Donnelly is a superstar of paleontology.
安德鲁·唐纳利是古生物学界的巨星
He's also the leading opponent of "Dead Clade Walking."
他也是反对"大灭绝的幸存者"最强烈的人
He's staked out a very public position,
他明确地公开表过态
so he's got quite a bit to lose:
所以他可能会损失不少
speaking fees, consulting jobs.
演讲费,咨询工作
The books that he writes
他写的那些书
would no doubt fall out of circulation.
肯定不会再卖了
You like him for the Doug Newberg murder, too?
你觉得他也是道格·纽伯格凶杀案的凶手吗
Actually, we just got the results comparing the DNA
实际上,我们刚刚得到两个犯罪现场的
from both crime scenes; they don't match.
DNA比对结果,并不匹配
We're looking for two different killers.
这两件凶杀案是两个人干的
Maybe the Newberg murder was just
可能纽伯格的凶杀案只是
a garden-variety burglary gone wrong.
普通的抢劫升级案件
Seems unlikely.
不大可能
Well, let's see.
我们等着瞧
Maybe he'll confess to the Magpie's murder.
或许他会承认喜鹊是他杀的
Oh, you can turn around, Counselor.
不用走,律师
We're ready to begin questioning your client.
我们要开始审讯你的客户了
There isn't gonna be an interrogation of Mr. Donnelly.
唐纳利先生不会接受审讯的
My client is the victim of a frame-up.
我的客户被陷害了
Malcolm Turner, this man who called himself "The Magpie"--
马尔科姆·特纳,自称"喜鹊"的那个人
he was killed yesterday morning, right?
是在昨天上午被杀的,对吗
Sometime between 10:00 and 12:00?
在十点到十二点之间
Andrew Donnelly was leading a guided tour
安德鲁·唐纳利从九点到两点半
of the Triboro Museum of Natural History from 9:00 a.m. until 2:30.
都在带人参观泰布罗自然史博物馆
It's something he does every year
他每年都会为
for people who donate big money to his department.
给他的院系捐巨款的人这样做
I've got Instagram photos
我这里有在参观过程中
posted during the tour itself,
分享到网上的照片
and more than a dozen millionaires who can vouch for his whereabouts.
还有一堆百万富翁可以为他证明
I take it you'll be issuing an apology
在唐纳利先生被释放时
along with Mr. Donnelly's release.
你发布一份道歉声明吧
Well, it... appears she's correct.
看起来...她是对的
Mr. Donnelly could not have murdered the Magpie.
唐纳利先生不可能杀喜鹊
Well, how the hell did his DNA get to the crime scene?
那他的DNA怎么跑到犯罪现场去的
Why are you cutting up the Magpie case file?
你为什么要切碎喜鹊的案件档案
I am reducing it to digestible chunks.
我要把它们割成易消化的小片
A 1953 study at the University of Michigan
密歇根大学1953年的一项研究
found that planarian worms
证明涡虫在消化了
could navigate a maze more successfully
同样在走迷宫的涡虫残骸后
after ingesting the remains of other worms who had also run the same course.
能够更好地在迷宫中导向
Perhaps if I ingest the file, it will offer fresh insights.
或许我消化了这些档案,就能有新观点
You're not really gonna eat that entire stack of paper, right?
你不会真的吃掉那一堆纸吧
Andrew Donnelly's DNA was found
在喜鹊凶杀案现场发现了
at the scene of the Magpie's murder,
安德鲁·唐纳利的DNA
but he did not commit the crime.
但人却不是他杀的
Ivan Kershavin refused to give us a sample
伊凡·克沙文拒绝向我们提供
of his DNA, but two hours ago,
他的DNA样本,但是两个小时前
a detective pulled a can of soda
一个警探还是从他的垃圾中翻到一个饮料罐
from his rubbish and got one for us anyway.
成功提取到了DNA
Not a match.
不相符
I'm at a loss.
我没有头绪了
Hence, a new perspective on the problem.
因此需要一个新的观点
Well, the Magpie kept records of all his transactions, right?
喜鹊保留了所有的交易记录,对吗
Gregson pulled it from his studio.
格雷森从他的工作室弄出来的
If we figure out who the customers were,
如果我们查出买家是谁
maybe we can come up with a new list of suspects.
或许就能列出新的嫌疑人
Thank you for your insights.
谢谢你的观点
I would not have thought of that on my own.
我自己肯定想不到
The Magpie identified his customers via pseudonyms.
喜鹊用假名记录他的客户
He sold a tapestry from a castle
他把爱尔兰某个城堡的挂毯
in Ireland to a "Bucky Wanderstick,"
卖给了一个叫"巴基·万得斯迪克"的人
a bracelet supposedly worn by Genghis Khan
一个曾被成吉思汗戴过的手环
went to "Michael McBender," so on.
卖给了个叫"迈克尔·麦克本德"的,等等
At least the guy has a bad sense of humor.
至少这家伙没什么幽默感
"Snipes Houlihan"-- he's got his own separate column.
"斯奈普·胡利汉" 他被单独列出
Four different sales.
四次不同的交易
"D-apostrophe-phalange."
"D 撇号,指骨"
"D-apostrophe-humerus."
"D 撇号,肱部"
"D-apostrophe-atlas/axis."
"D 撇号,寰枢椎"
A toe, an arm, top of the spine...
一个脚趾,一只上臂,脊骨的顶端...
The transactions happened over a period of months, so...
这些交易相差几个月,所以...
I want to know why they're linked.
我想知道它们之间有什么联系
I'm guessing there's a good reason for all of this.
我猜你这么做一定有很好的理由
I'm trying to attract the attention of "Snipes Houlihan."
我在试图吸引"斯奈普·胡利汉"的注意
You know who he is?
你知道他是谁吗
I was curious as to why the sales were grouped
我很好奇为什么那些交易
under the heading "D-apostrophe-D."
都被编辑在"D 撇号, D"那栏里
When I reasoned that the Magpie would only be trading
当我想到喜鹊只交易那些
in bones of species which were rare or extinct,
稀有或者灭绝物种的骸骨时
I quickly developed a theory as to what it meant.
我很快有了一个理论
He sold three different Dimetrodon bones to the same buyer.
他把三块长棘龙的骸骨卖给了同一个人
Precisely.
正是
Three different bones from three wildly divergent locations on the body.
三块分散在身体各处的骸骨
Why would one need a toe, an arm, leg,
为什么会有人需要一个脚趾,一只上臂
and a piece of the spinal column?
一条腿和一块脊骨呢
Well, I can read.
我识字
I'm guessing you think that he used it
我猜你觉得他用那些
to fill out this display.
让展出品更完整
A display which claims to be
一个声称是此物种
the only complete skeleton of its kind,
唯一完整的骨架
but which is, in fact, augmented
然而事实上
by bones which were purchased on the black market.
是由黑市上买来的化石骨头拼装起来的
So that man we met, Jerome Thomas--
我们遇到的那个人,杰罗姆·托马斯
he said that he supervised the dig himself.
他说他亲自监督了挖掘工作
He did.
没错
He personally oversaw the cataloging of all the findings.
以及所有出土物的归档
You think he faked finding a complete skeleton
你是说他谎称发现了一具完整的化石骨骼
and then bought the missing pieces on the black market.
然后到黑市上去买缺失的部分
But what does this have to do with the Magpie's murder?
但是这和喜鹊的死又有什么关系
It's the link which connects
这是联接道格·纽伯格和喜鹊
the murders of Doug Newberg and the Magpie.
两起谋杀案的线索所在
Firstly, it establishes that Dr. Thomas knew
第一,这证实了托马斯博士认识他
and did business with the man.
并与他做过交易
He would no doubt know
他肯定知道
what he had up for sale at any given moment.
他随时在卖些什么
The textbook I gave you-- did you notice who wrote it?
我给你的教科书,你注意到作者是谁了吗
Andrew Donnelly. He's...
安德鲁·唐纳利,他
He's the man whose DNA was found
他的DNA出现在喜鹊
at the scene of the Magpie's murder.
和杰罗姆·托马斯的
And Jerome Thomas.
凶案现场
They collaborated on that book, which is used
他们合着的那本书
as the introductory text
几乎是所有入门级课程
for almost every entry-level course.
的导读性书籍
Now, Andrew Donnelly's reputation would be ruined
如果"大灭绝的幸存者"被证明是正确的
if "Dead Clade Walking" Were proven correct.
安德鲁·唐纳利将会名誉扫地
So what do you think would happen to sales of his textbook?
那你觉得其着作的销量会有何影响
I'm sure they would plummet.
肯定一落千丈
What do you suppose would happen to the reputation
那他合作伙伴的声誉
of his close associates?
又会怎样呢
They'd be tainted, too.
肯定也会受损
What one earth are you two doing?
你们俩到底在干嘛
You found out there was a fossil
你发现了能够证明
that could prove "Dead Clade Walking""
"大灭绝的幸存者"理论的化石
and you killed Doug Newberg to get your hands on it.
并杀了道格·纽伯格来得到它
What? You couldn't find it, so you thought it was lost,
什么,你没找到,就以为是弄丢了
until the Magpie put it up for sale again.
直到喜鹊重新拿出来出售
And then you planted Andrew Donnelly's DNA
然后你在第二起谋杀案的现场
at the second murder.
安置了安德鲁·唐纳利的DNA
Actually, I think that was a mistake.
事实上,我觉得这是个疏忽
I think you used a tool that
我想你是用了
you and Dr. Donnelly probably shared in the field.
你和唐纳利博士共用的一件发掘工具
Maybe you brought it with you to destroy the fossil.
可能你带着它去摧毁化石
I don't know what you're talking about,
我不知道你在说什么
but you two need to leave.
但你们俩得走了
Yeah, all right.
好,没关系
If that's what you want.
如果你这么坚持
We don't have enough evidence to arrest you, anyway.
反正我们也没有足够的证据逮捕你
But... the police are drawing up
但是,警方现在正起草
a warrant for your DNA as we speak.
获取你DNA的授权令
And you and I
而你我都知道
both know it's going to match the material
它会和三年前
found at Doug Newberg's three years ago.
在道格·纽伯格家发现的DNA吻合
They're also going to be able to search your home
警方还会去你的家
and your lab for the murder weapon.
和你的实验室搜查凶器
So, given all that,
鉴于此
I thought I'd give you the opportunity to confess.
我觉得应该给你一个坦白的机会
The academic community was stunned today
今日,学术界震惊地得知
as Dr. Jerome Thomas, curator of the fossil collection
泰布罗自然史博物馆的
at the Triboro Museum of Natural History,
化石收藏馆馆长杰罗姆·托马斯博士
was charged with two separate murders...
被指控犯有双重谋杀罪
This was at the front stoop for you.
门前台阶上的包裹,是给你的
This would be the remains of the Nanotyrannus.
一定是矮暴龙化石的残骸
Oh. You mean a pile of dust?
你是说一堆石块粉末吧
This creature survived the single greatest
这个生物捱过了历史上
extinction-level event in history.
最大规模的一次物种大灭绝
It deserves a loftier resting place than someone's dustbin.
它理当获得一个比垃圾箱更好的归宿
Do you feel good?
感觉不错吧
You solved the case.
你破了这案子
Doug Newberg's parents finally know what happened to their son.
道格·纽伯格的父母总算知道了他们儿子的死因
Yes, I suppose I do.
没错,我想是的
You don't have to say it.
你不用说出来
I know what you're thinking.
我知道你在想什么
The odds are reasonably good
要不是你
that none of this would have happened without you.
案件就无法如此顺利解决
Allow me to return the favor
请允许我还个人情
by releasing the evil humours from your skull.
帮你释放掉你脑中的恶趣味
I'm good.
不必了
I got high with Eve last night.
昨晚我和伊芙两个人嗑药了
I see.
知道了
I woke up this morning
今早起来之后
and I told her that I never wanted to see her again.
我告诉她再也不想看到她了
It's over.
我们结束了
I don't know if you're still my sponsor or not,
我不知道你还是不是我的担保人
but if you'd be willing...
但如果你愿意的话
So you want to go to a meeting?
想去参加个互助会吗
Right now?
现在
Yeah.
All right.
走吧

重点单词   查看全部解释    
tainted ['teintid]

想一想再看

adj. 污染的;感染的

 
separate ['sepəreit]

想一想再看

n. 分开,抽印本
adj. 分开的,各自的,

 
sobriety [səu'braiəti]

想一想再看

n. 清醒,严肃,节制

联想记忆
collection [kə'lekʃən]

想一想再看

n. 收集,收取,聚集,收藏品,募捐

联想记忆
invisible [in'vizəbl]

想一想再看

adj. 看不见的,无形的
n. 隐形人(或物

 
perspective [pə'spektiv]

想一想再看

n. 远景,看法,透视
adj. 透视的

联想记忆
privacy ['praivəsi]

想一想再看

n. 隐私,隐居,秘密

联想记忆
spine [spain]

想一想再看

n. 脊柱,脊椎,书脊,尖刺

 
committed [kə'mitid]

想一想再看

adj. 献身于某种事业的,委托的

联想记忆
original [ə'ridʒənl]

想一想再看

adj. 最初的,原始的,有独创性的,原版的

联想记忆

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。