"I wouldn't think of changing the light," cried Mrs. McKee. "I think it's——"
“我不认为该换光线,”麦基太太叫道。“我认为这是——”
Her husband said "SH!" and we all looked at the subject again
她的丈夫说了声“嘘”,然后我们又开始讨论这个话题,
whereupon Tom Buchanan yawned audibly and got to his feet.
于是汤姆·布坎南大声打了个呵欠,站了起来。
"You McKees have something to drink," he said.
“你们麦基家的两人喝点什么,”他说。
"Get some more ice and mineral water, Myrtle, before everybody goes to sleep."
“茉特尔,再拿点冰和矿泉水来,不然大家都要睡着了。”
"I told that boy about the ice."
“我早就叫那小子送冰来了。”
Myrtle raised her eyebrows in despair at the shiftlessness of the lower orders.
茉特尔对下层社会的懒惰感到绝望,扬起了眉毛。
"These people! You have to keep after them all the time."
“这些人!你必须一直盯着他们。”
She looked at me and laughed pointlessly.
她看着我,莫名其妙地笑了。
Then she flounced over to the dog, kissed it with ecstasy and swept into the kitchen,
然后,她扑向那只狗,陶醉地亲吻它,然后大摇大摆地走进厨房,
implying that a dozen chefs awaited her orders there.
就好像有十几个厨师在那儿等着她点餐。
"I've done some nice things out on Long Island," asserted Mr. McKee.
“我在长岛拍过几张好照片,”麦基先生断言。
Tom looked at him blankly.
汤姆茫然地看着他。
"Two of them we have framed downstairs."
“有两幅我们配了镜框挂在楼下。”
"Two what?" demanded Tom.
“两幅什么?”汤姆问。
"Two studies. One of them I call 'Montauk Point--the Gulls,' and the other I call 'Montauk Point--the Sea.' "
“两幅习作。我把其中一个叫做《蒙托克角——海鸥》,把另一个叫做《蒙托克角——大海》。’”
The sister Catherine sat down beside me on the couch.
凯瑟琳在我身旁的沙发上坐了下来。
"Do you live down on Long Island, too?" she inquired.
“你也住在长岛吗?”她问。
"I live at West Egg."
“我住在西卵。”
"Really? I was down there at a party about a month ago.
“真的吗?一个月前我在那儿参加了一个聚会。
At a man named Gatsby's. Do you know him?"
在一个叫盖茨比的人。你认识他吗?”
"I live next door to him."
“我住在他隔壁。”
"Well, they say he's a nephew or a cousin of Kaiser Wilhelm's.
“噢,他们说他是德皇威廉的侄儿或表兄。
That's where all his money comes from."
他所有的钱都是从那儿来的。”
"Really?"
“真的吗?”
She nodded.
她点了点头。
"I'm scared of him. I'd hate to have him get anything on me."
“我怕他。我可不想让他占我的便宜。”
This absorbing information about my neighbor was interrupted by Mrs. McKee's pointing suddenly at Catherine:
麦基太太突然指着凯瑟琳,打断了她对我邻居的介绍。
"Chester, I think you could do something with her," she broke out,
“切斯特,我想你可以给她拍一张好的,”她突然说,
but Mr. McKee only nodded in a bored way and turned his attention to Tom.
但是麦基先生只是懒洋洋地点了点头,然后把注意力转向了汤姆。
"I'd like to do more work on Long Island if I could get the entry.
“我很想在长岛多搞点业务,要是有人介绍的话。
All I ask is that they should give me a start."
我只要求就是他们帮我开个头。”