"What kind are they?" asked Mrs. Wilson eagerly as he came to the taxi-window.
当他走到出租汽车窗口时,威尔逊太太急切地问:“它们是什么品种?”
"All kinds. What kind do you want, lady?"
“各种都有。你想要哪一种的,女士?”
"I'd like to get one of those police dogs; I don't suppose you got that kind?"
“我想养一只警犬;我想你们不一定有这种吧?”
The man peered doubtfully into the basket, plunged in his hand and drew one up, wriggling, by the back of the neck.
那人怀疑地往篮子里看了看,伸手从篮子里摸出一只来,拎着它的后颈转来转去。
"That's no police dog," said Tom.
“那不是警犬,”汤姆说。
"No, it's not exactly a police dog," said the man with disappointment in his voice.
“不,它不完全是一只警犬,”男人失望地说。
"It's more of an aired ale." He passed his hand over the brown wash-rag of a back.
“它更像是一直硬毛猎狗。”他用手摸了摸他那褐色的后背。
"Look at that coat. Some coat. That's a dog that'll never bother you with catching cold."
“看这个皮毛。很不错的皮毛。这只狗不会动不动就感冒给您添麻烦的。”
"I think it's cute," said Mrs. Wilson enthusiastically. "How much is it?"
“我觉得它很可爱,”威尔逊太太热情地说。“多少钱?”
"That dog?" He looked at it admiringly. "That dog will cost you ten dollars."
“这只?”他欣喜地看着它。“这只狗售价十美元。”
The aired ale--undoubtedly there was an aired ale concerned in it somewhere
这只硬毛猎狗转了手——毫无疑问它的血统里不知什么地方跟硬毛猎狗有过关系
though its feet were startlingly white--changed hands and settled down into Mrs. Wilson's lap,
虽然它的爪子白得惊人——现在它坐到了威尔逊太太的怀里,
where she fondled the weather-proof coat with rapture.
她欣喜若狂地抚摸着它那不怕伤风着凉的皮毛。
"Is it a boy or a girl?" she asked delicately.
“是雄的还是雌的?”她小心翼翼地问。
"That dog? That dog's a boy."
“那只狗吗?那只狗是个雄的。”
"It's a bitch," said Tom decisively. "Here's your money. Go and buy ten more dogs with it."
“是只母狗。”汤姆断然地说。“给你钱,都够买十条狗来了。”
We drove over to Fifth Avenue, so warm and soft, almost pastoral, on the summer Sunday afternoon
在那个夏日的星期天下午,我们驱车前往第五大道,那里是那样的温暖、柔和,几乎可以说是田园诗般的景色,
that I wouldn't have been surprised to see a great flock of white sheep turn the corner.
即使看到一群白色的绵羊在街角转来转去,我也不会感到惊讶。
"Hold on," I said, "I have to leave you here."
“等一下,”我说,“我得在这跟你们分手了。”
"No, you don't," interposed Tom quickly. "Myrtle'll be hurt if you don't come up to the apartment. Won't you,Myrtle?"
“不,你不能走,”汤姆马上插嘴说。“茉特尔要生气的,要是你不上公寓去。是不是,茉特尔?”
"Come on," she urged. "I'll telephone my sister Catherine. She's said to be very beautiful by people who ought to know."
“来吧,”她恳求道。“我去给我妹妹凯瑟琳打电话,很多人都说她特别漂亮。”
"Well, I'd like to, but----"
“嗯,我很愿意,但是——”
We went on, cutting back again over the Park toward the West Hundreds.
我们继续往前走,又抄近路穿过公园,向西面100多号街区开去。
At 158th Street the cab stopped at one slice in a long white cake of apartment houses.
到了第158街,出租汽车停在一大片白蛋糕色的公寓一角。