You have interviewed Mitt Romney for this book in January,
为了这本书你已经在1月份采访了米特·罗姆尼,
and I have to say, reading what he said in response to your question about the 47 percent of the American people as he characterized them,
那我不得不说,读了他回答关于你他认为47%的美国人的问题,
I don't really know if he understands yet why people took offense at that comment.
我真的不知道他是否理解人们因为评论而生气。
There seems to be a bit of denial there.
似乎有一点否认。
What was your take?
你有什么看法?
Well, I had the same reaction, Jake.
嗯,我和你观点一致,杰克。
I thought that,
我认为,
he believes he said something different,
他相信他说的一些不同的,
and the literal words obviously are the ones that people remember when he said that there's 47 percent of the country,
字面上的意思显然是那些人们记得他说道这个国家47%的时候,
these are people who won't take control of their own lives.
这些人不会控制自己的生活。
And he continues to say, I didn't really say that.
而他继续说,我并不是真的说。
And he went and got his iPad and started to read through some of what he had said and the question that he was asked.
然后他拿了自己的iPad,开始读一些他说的话及他问的问题。
He knows it was a damaging moment.
他知道这是一个破坏性的时刻。
He believes it was damaging because there was the perception of what he said.
他认为这是破坏性的,因为他所说的有了预感。
He still had trouble processing that it was the actual words.
他仍然难以处理,因为这是已经说出的话,覆水难收。
You also got the sense in your book from both Romney and his son, Tagg,
在你的书中还有来自罗姆尼和他的儿子,泰格,
that throughout the buildup to his announcement that he was going to run, he was looking for reasons not to run.
他宣布自己要参加竞选,他是在找不竞选的理由。
Do you think that lack of fire in the belly in some ways, do you think that might have contributed to why he lost?
你认为在某些方面的缺乏是可能导致失败的原因吗?
You know, it may be,
你知道,可能是这样,
although I think once he was into it, he was, you know, he's a competitive person.
尽管我认为一旦他很投入,你知道,他是一个好强争胜之人。
He was a competitive businessman, and I think he was a competitive candidate.
他是一位具有竞争力的的商人,而且我认为他是一位具有竞争力的候选人。
But he had two reservations.
但他有两种选择。
One early on was was he the best person in the party who might be able to defeat President Obama.
一开始他就被认为是也许能击败奥巴马总统最好的人选。
He said to me if some other people ran, and he mentioned specifically Jeb Bush, the former governor of Florida.
他对我说如果其他一些人参选,他特别提到前佛罗里达州州长杰布·布什。
He said if someone like that had gotten into the race, he might not have.
他说如果有人希望已经进入大选,他可能没有。
The other question he had was whether he was actually a very good fit for a Republican Party that is more conservative than he is, that's Southern based,
另一个问题是他是否实际上更适合南方保守派共和党,
he's a Northerner, that he's evangelical, he's Mormon.
而他是北方人,他是福音派,摩门教徒。
He said Stu Stevens, his chief strategist, always said to him this could be, you know, this could be a tough fight.
他表示斯图史蒂文斯,他的首席战略家,总是对他说这可能是,你知道,这可能是一场艰难的战斗。
And so, he had some questions.
所以,他有一些问题。
But as the field developed, Jake, the actual field that he was going to have to compete against, he decided he was the best of that group in order to go against the president.
但杰克,随着发展,实际上他要战胜竞争对手,他决定为了对抗总统自己成为最好的人。
英文文本来自普特英语,译文属可可原创,仅供学习交流使用,未经许可请勿转载