Hi, Faith, have you seen that new Star Wars movie?
嗨,费斯,你看过那部新上映的《星球大战》电影吗?
Yes, and the ending was terrible.
看过,结局很糟糕。
I agree. A movie can be good...but if the ending is bad....it changes the whole experience!
我同意。一部电影可能很好……但如果结局不好……它就会改变整个体验!
It's like when we talk about phrasal verbs. It's the ending that really matters.
这就像我们谈论动词短语一样。真正重要的是结尾。
OK. But first, we should talk about what a phrasal verb is.
好吧。但首先,我们应该谈谈什么是动词短语。
You're right. Phrasal verbs are groups of words that have a verb and one or more short words.
你说得对。动词短语是由一个动词和一个或多个短词组成的词组。
When combined, the words have an idiomatic meaning.
当这些单词组合在一起时,这些词组就有了一个惯用的意思。
Here's an example: hang out.
举一个例子:hang out。
It combines the verb "hang" with the short word "out."
该短语将动词“hang”和短词“out”组合在一起。
Together, these words mean to have fun or relax.
这两个词组合在一起的意思是玩得开心或放松。
The ending--the short word out--is of special importance.
结尾——短词out——具有特别重要的意义。
That's right. You could even say that the ending helps create the exact meaning.
没错。你甚至可以说,结尾有助于创造出确切的含义。
Why is that, John?
为什么呢,约翰?
English has many phrasal verbs, and some of them share the same basic verb.
英语中有许多动词短语,其中一些动词短语有相同的基本动词。
Consider this: hang up, as in, "Faith, you should hang up the phone."
看看下面这个短语:hang up,比如,“费思,你应该挂断电话。”
Hang up means to end a phone conversation.
Hang up的意思是结束电话交谈。
Or hang on, as in, "Faith, can you hang on for a second?"
或者hang on,比如,“费思,你能等一下吗?”
Hang on means to wait.
Hang on的意思是等待。
So, we have hang out, hang up, and hang on--three phrasal verbs where the difference in meaning comes at the end.
我们列举了hang out、hang up和hang on三个动词短语,它们的意思之所以不同是因为结尾不同。
That's right, John, endings are important.
没错,约翰,结尾很重要。
And I think that's the end of today's Everyday Grammar!
以上就是今天的《每日语法》!