31 The Carnival
狂欢节
I can't wait until the next carnival comes to town.
我几乎要等不及去下一次城里举行的狂欢节了。
I love the casual atmosphere and the taste foods.
我喜欢那里的随和的气氛和美味的食物。
There's nothing like watching a cascade of popcorn flowing out of the machine.
看着一堆堆爆米花像瀑布似的从机器里涌出来真乃一大爽事。
In fact, I eat so much of it that my friends call me “the cast-iron stomach!”
事实上,我吃了太多的爆米花,以至于朋友们都叫我(什么都消化得了的)“铁胃”。
I especially enjoy the wide variety of entertainment, including the animal shows.
我尤其喜欢欣赏丰富多彩的娱乐节目,比如动物表演。
The lions are the most exciting because they're carnivorous.
狮子是最激动人心的,因为它们是食肉动物。
Imagine the carnage if they ever escaped their cages.
想象一下它们一旦逃出铁笼后会出现的残杀景象!
I would suffer a cardiac arrest.
我会犯心脏病的。
I'd probably be the first casualty since I'm so fat and slow.
我很可能是第一例伤亡,因为我又胖又笨重。
That's why I also like the tortoise.
这也是我为什么喜欢乌龟的原因。
He's sluggish, just like me, although I don't have a huge carapace on my back to slow me down.
乌龟慢吞吞的,跟我一样,只不过我用不着背着那块大龟甲而放慢速度。
It looks like he's carrying cargo in that big shell of his.
看起来乌龟像是在搬运装在它那大甲壳里的货物。
However, the cardinal rule is not to bring too much money.
但首要准则是别带太多钱。
You can buy lots of things at a carnival.
在狂欢节上,你可以疯狂采购。
You can shop for 24 carat gold jewelry.
你可以选购24克拉的金首饰;
You can ask an artist to draw you a caricature of a famous person.
你可以请一名画家为你画一幅某名人的漫画;
You can watch someone carve your name into a piece of wood.
你可以看着你的名字被人刻在一块木头上;
You can even buy a type of superglue that comes in two parts.
你甚至可以买一种由两部分组成的超级胶水。
After you use the catalyst to catalyze the glue, it takes only five minutes to form a solid bond.
你先用催化剂催化胶水,5分钟后,胶水就粘得很牢固了。
There are a lot of unusual attractions too.
此外,还有很多稀奇古怪的东西吸引你。
Often there will be a fortuneteller who will seem pretty skilled at predicting cataclysms.
时常会有一位善于语言灾难的算命先生。
Sometimes, they will have a wizard who pretends to cast spells.
有时,又有一位巫师假装在那里下魔咒。
Occasionally, there will be a show that appeals solely to carnal desires.
偶尔,在狂欢节上会有单纯满足肉欲的表演,
I always stay away from these shows.
遇上这些表演,我总会离得远远的。
The last thing I need it to be castigated by my parents, again!
我才不愿意再让父母训斥一番呢!