It was late in the evening.
这是在一天晚上。
William Shakespeare is at the palace of King James I.
威廉·莎士比亚在国王詹姆士一世的宫殿里。
Mr. Shakespeare! Welcome, welcome.
莎士比亚先生!欢迎,欢迎。
Your majesty, it is a great honour to perform The Merchant of Venice for you a second time.
陛下,很荣幸能够再一次为您表演《威尼斯商人》。
The Queen and I enjoyed it so much we just had to see it again.
王后和我非常喜欢,一定要再看一遍。
You fell asleep halfway through dear, that's why you want to see it again.
亲爱的,你要再看一遍只是因为你上次在中途睡着了。
Nonsense. Mr. Shakespeare, I particularly enjoyed your character Shylock.
胡说。莎士比亚先生,我尤其喜欢你的角色夏洛克。
But what was all that about a pound of flesh?
但是合法但极不合理的要求到底是什么呢?
Well, Shylock lent some money to the businessman Antonio.
嗯,夏洛克借给了商人安东尼奥一些钱。
And Antonio promised that if he didn't pay the money back, Shylock could cut a pound of flesh from his body.
安东尼奥承诺说如果他没有还钱的话,夏洛克可以从他身上割下一磅肉。
That's right, that's right. I remember it well now.
是的,是的。我现在想起来了。
What did he say? If you repay me not on such a day...
夏洛克说了什么来着?如果你不还我钱......
If you repay me not on such a day, in such a place, such sum or sums as are expressed in the condition, let the forfeit be nominated for an equal pound of your fair flesh,
如果你不按上述的时间、地点、数量还我钱的话,你的惩罚就是按我的意愿从你身上割下一磅肉。