手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语视频听力 > TED演讲视频 > 正文

新冠三年你过得怎么样?(2)

来源:可可英语 编辑:Alisa   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet

Number two: invest in joy.

第二:投资喜悦。

Make the intention to actively invest in this thing called joy every day.

要刻意主动去投资一种叫做“每日喜悦”的东西。

Almost like a workout. You have to commit to it. It has to be a discipline. Build and flex that muscle.

几乎就像是运动锻炼,你得承诺投入。必须要是有纪律的训练。建造、收缩那块肌肉。

The world does not need more masochists or martyrs.

这个世界不需要更多受虐狂或烈士。

It does not need more overworked, overstressed burnouts.

它不需要更多过劳、压力过大的精疲力竭。

New rule for 2022.

2022 年的新规则。

You deserve to have moments of joy, even if they are fleeting, every day that you are alive.

你活着的每一天都应该拥有喜悦的时刻,即使它们稍纵即逝。

And you have to take those moments, you have to grab them, you have to seize them.

你得去抓住那些时刻,你得抓牢它们、紧握它们。

I love food, so I learned how to cook Pakistani food, took my mom's recipes during lockdown.

我爱食物,所以封城期间,我用妈妈的食谱,学会如何做巴基斯坦菜。

My kids love Lego, so that means now I love Lego.

我的孩子喜欢乐高,那就表示现在我也喜欢乐高。

I love drinking chai. I make a cup of chai every day, it makes me happy.

我喜欢喝香料奶茶。每天做一杯奶茶就会让我觉得很开心。

No matter how much stress or pain or misery I was going through, I made sure to invest time every day, to invest in things and people and experiences that gave me joy.

不论我经历到多少压力、痛苦或不幸,我都会确保每天投资一些时间,投资在让我感到喜悦的我都会确保每天投资一些时间,人事物及体验上。

And finally, number three.

最后,第三。

I would recommend, humbly, invest in the narrative of hope because the alternative is apathy and cynicism.

我会虚心地建议,投资在怀抱希望的可能情境。因为其他可供选择的就是漠视和愤世嫉俗了。

Investing in hope is painful.

投资希望是很痛苦的。

It means opening yourself up to the possibility of pain, betrayal and disappointment.

那意味着要把你自己打开,接受痛苦、背叛以及失望的可能性。

It's easier to court cynicism, right?

追求愤世嫉俗就容易许多,对吧?

You expect nothing, so you lose nothing.

没有期望,就没有失望。

But it also means you have resigned yourself to the cheap seats.

但那就表示你放任自己在远处观望。

You are a spectator who yells out "Boo," instead of being a participant in the ring where your nose could get bloody, but at least you're pushing the ball forward.

你是发出嘘声的观众,而不是拳击场上可能被打到流鼻血的参与者,但至少参与者还有在做点什么。

It means choosing apathy and nihilism, which is comforting and easy, but also lazy and destructive.

那就意味着选择漠视和虚无主义,很舒适也很轻易,但也很懒惰且消极。

During Nusayba's cancer, I used to sit up every night after my family went to sleep and I stayed up till, like, three or four am, I couldn't sleep.

纽赛巴得癌症时,每晚在家人入睡后我都会坐起来,我睡不着,到三、四点还醒着。

And instead I imagined, like Doctor Strange in "Avengers: Endgame," with the time stone, every possible scenario and outcome, just to prepare myself as a father.

我反而学《复仇者联盟:终局之战》的奇异博士去想像,他有时间宝石,就能看到每种情况和结果,我这个爸爸要做好准备。

I had to emotionally prepare for every outcome.

我得为每种结果做好心理准备。

So I used to imagine Nusayba dying.

所以我以前会想像纽赛巴过世了。

I imagined burying her with my own hands.

我会想像自己亲手埋葬了她。

I imagined making the phone call to her grandparents, explaining that she had died, listening to them cry.

我会想像打电话给她的祖父母,解释她过世了,听他们哭泣。

I imagined living the rest of my life like a shell of a man, but pretending to put a smile on my face because I had a son to raise and now a daughter.

我会想像在我接下来的人生里我是一具戴上笑脸的行尸走肉,因为我还有儿子要养,现在还多了个女儿。

My wife, badass that she is, was also pregnant during Nusayba's cancer.

我老婆非常厉害,在纽赛巴得癌症时怀孕了。

I had to be prepared.

我得做好准备。

But I also chose to invest in a narrative in which Nusayba lived.

但,我也选择投资在纽赛巴会活下来的那个可能情境上。

And I imagined seeing her alive with a liver transplant, smiling, regaining her hair, full of joy and life.

我想像能看到她活着,得到肝脏移植,满面笑容,开始重新长出头发,满是喜悦和生气。

I preferred that story.

我偏爱那个故事。

That's the story I invested in, even as we were sitting on the edge of what seemed like a falling cliff, I decided I would put out the lawn chair and at least enjoy the scenery.

我投资在那个故事上,即使当我们已经坐在悬崖边缘快要掉下去时,我决定我要把草坪躺椅搬出来,至少享受一下风景。

Over 500 people, mostly strangers, chose to sign up to be donors for Nusayba, even people who told me they hated me for my politics.

超过五百人,大部分是陌生人,选择登记成为纽赛巴的捐赠者,甚至包括讨厌我的政治观点的人。

They were moved by her story.

他们被她的故事感动了。

Sometimes some people can change.

有时,有些人可以改变。

Sometimes some people can choose to do and be good.

有时,有些人可以选择做善事当善人。

An anonymous donor, Shawn Zahir, decided to give a piece of his liver to a girl he never met just so she could live.

匿名捐赠者尚恩·札希尔决定将自己的部分肝脏捐赠给他从未见过的女孩,只为了让她活下来。

I'm not Pollyanna. I'm not a foolish, wide-eyed, naive optimist.

我不是盲目乐观的人。我不是愚蠢、天真、幼稚的乐观主义者。

I'm a pragmatist, fully aware of the many challenges and horrors we are facing.

我是务实主义者,非常清楚知道我们要面临许多挑战和可怕的事。

But through my own personal experience, if it is at all helpful, I can assure you that walking through this forest of horrors, going on this journey, wherever it may lead, if you choose to invest in hope, it at least makes the ride a bit sweeter and easier.

但,根据我个人经验,如果有一点帮助的话,我可以向你保证,穿越这恐怖的森林,踏上这段旅程,不论它会通往何处,如果你选择投资在希望上,至少会让这段旅程稍微甜蜜、轻鬆一点点。

And as the wise ram tells Po in “Kung Fu Panda 2,” "Your story may not have such a happy beginning, but that does not make you who you are. It is the rest of it, who you choose to be."

如同《功夫熊猫 2》中羊仙姑告诉阿波的话:“你的故事可能没有快乐的开头,但这无法形塑你会是什么样的人,而是在接下来的故事里,你选择要成为什么样的人。”

重点单词   查看全部解释    
misery ['mizəri]

想一想再看

n. 痛苦,悲惨的境遇,苦难

 
outcome ['autkʌm]

想一想再看

n. 结果,后果

 
humbly ['hʌmbli]

想一想再看

adv. 谦逊地;卑贱地;低声下气地

 
betrayal [bi'treiəl]

想一想再看

n. 背叛,暴露

 
stress [stres]

想一想再看

n. 紧张,压力
v. 强调,着重

 
narrative ['nærətiv]

想一想再看

n. 叙述,故事
adj. 叙事的,故事体的

 
alternative [ɔ:l'tə:nətiv]

想一想再看

adj. 两者择一的; 供选择的; 非主流的

联想记忆
apathy ['æpəθi]

想一想再看

n. 缺乏感情或兴趣,冷漠

联想记忆
spectator [spek'teitə]

想一想再看

n. 观众,旁观者

联想记忆
lawn [lɔ:n]

想一想再看

n. 草地,草坪
n. 上等细麻布

 

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。