Then there was a boom as Tom Buchanan shut the rear windows and the caught wind died out about the room,
忽然砰地一声,汤姆·布坎南关上了后面的落地窗,室内的余风才渐渐平息,
and the curtains and the rugs and the two young women ballooned slowly to the floor.
窗帘、地毯和两位少妇也都慢慢地降落回地面。
The younger of the two was a stranger to me.
两个之中比较年轻的那个,我不认识。
She was extended full length at her end of the divan, completely motionless, and with her chin raised a little,
她平躺在长沙发的一头,身子一动不动,下巴微微上扬,
as if she were balancing something on it which was quite likely to fall.
仿佛她在上面平衡着一件什么东西,生怕它掉下来似的。
If she saw me out of the corner of her eyes she gave no hint of it --
或许她眼角的余光无意中瞥见了我,但她毫无表示——
indeed, I was almost surprised into murmuring an apology for having disturbed her by coming in.
其实,我倒吃了一惊,差点要张口因我的闯入惊动了她而向她道歉,。
The other girl, Daisy, made an attempt to rise --
另外那个少妇,黛西,想要站起身来——
she leaned slightly forward with a conscientious expression -- then she laughed,
她身子微微向前倾,一脸诚心诚意的表情——接着她噗嗤一笑,
an absurd, charming little laugh,
那是一个滑稽又可爱的浅笑,
and I laughed too and came forward into the room.
我也跟着笑了,接着就走进了屋内。
“I'm p-paralyzed with happiness.”
“我高兴得瘫……瘫掉了。”
She laughed again, as if she said something very witty,
她又笑了一次,好像她说了一句非常俏皮的话,
and held my hand for a moment, looking up into my face, promising that there was no one in the world she so much wanted to see.
接着就拉住我的手,仰起脸看着我,表示世界上没有第二个人是她更高兴见到的了。
That was a way she had.
那是她特有的一种表情。
She hinted in a murmur that the surname of the balancing girl was Baker.
她低声告诉我那个在搞平衡动作的姑娘姓贝克。
(I've heard it said that Daisy's murmur was only to make people lean toward her;
(我听人说过,黛西的喃喃低语只是为了让人家把身子向她靠近,
an irrelevant criticism that made it no less charming.)
这种不相干的闲话丝毫无损于这种表情的魅力)。
At any rate, Miss Baker's lips fluttered, she nodded at me almost imperceptibly,
不管怎样,贝克小姐的嘴唇微微一动,她几乎看不出来地向我点了点头,
and then quickly tipped her head back again --
接着赶忙把头又仰回去——
the object she was balancing had obviously tottered a little and given her something of a fright.
她在保持平衡的那件东西显然歪了一下,让她吃了一惊。
Again a sort of apology arose to my lips.
道歉的话又一次溜到了我的嘴边。
Almost any exhibition of complete self-sufficiency draws a stunned tribute from me.
这种几乎是完全我行我素的神情总是使我感到目瞪口呆又满心赞佩。