Hello, I'm John Russell. Do you follow sports?
大家好,我是约翰·罗素。你关注体育运动吗?
Or perhaps you prefer books?
或者你更喜欢书?
Both of these topics can teach you a lot about pronunciation in American English. I'll explain.
这两个话题都可以教你很多美式英语的发音。我来讲解。
In grammar, we talk about compound nouns, two words that come together to carry one meaning.
在语法中,我们说复合名词是两个词结合在一起表达一种意思。
In many cases, the compound noun consists of two nouns, like this:
在很多情况下,复合名词由两个名词组成,像这样:
Book is a noun. Shelf is a noun.
book(书)是一个名词。shelf(架子)是一个名词。
When you put the two together, you get a compound noun bookshelf, bookshelf.
当它们两个放在一起,会得到一个复合名词bookshelf(书架)。
Or consider this example from sports:
或者看看下面关于运动的例子:
Foot is a oun. Ball is an oun.
foot(脚)是一个名词。ball(球)是一个名词。
When you put the two together, you get football. Football.
这两个单词组合到一起组成了football(足球)。
You might be asking yourself what this discussion has to do with pronunciation.
你可能会问自己这个讨论和发音有什么关系。
The answer comes down to stress, saying something louder, or in a higher pitch.
答案可以归结为重音,音调,或者用更高的音调说话。
Americans often stressed the first part or word of a compound noun.
美国人经常重读复合名词的第一部分或第一个单词。
Like this: Bookcase, Bookmark, Bookstore.
像这样:书柜、书签、书店。
Or like this: Baseball Ballpark Basketball.
或者这样:棒球,球场,篮球。
Now there are compound nouns that are not spelled as one word.
有些复合名词不是组成单个单词的。
For example: credit card.
比如:credit card信用卡。
Still, the same general idea holds true -- we stress the first word credit. credit card
尽管如此,同样的观点仍然成立——我们重读第一个词credit(信用)。
That's all for today.
以上就是今天的全部内容。
Keep up the good work.
继续加油吧。