1. I thought...“我原以为...”,是虚拟语气,这里表示过去对事情的理解与现在发现的事实不符;
He thought she was a high school student.
他(原)以为她是高中生。
I thought you were in London.
我原以为你在伦敦
Wow, I thought the theater would be packed.
哇,我原以为电影院会爆满。
I thought this statement correct.
我原以为这种说法正确。
情景对话:
A: Did you finished the work? 你完成任务了吗?
B: I thought I could finish it on schedule, now I realize it's not so easy. 你原以为可以按时完成,现在发现没那么容易。
2. You guys are great together. 你们很般配;
说两个人很般配还可以这么说:
You are well suited./You are well matched.你们很般配;
You are made for each other. 你们是天生的一对。
情景对话:
A: Tom and Mary married last week.汤姆和玛丽上周结婚了。
B: Really? They are indeed made for each other. 真的?他俩真是天生的一对。
3.figure out“发现,弄明白”;
Can you figure out this puzzle?
你能找到谜底吗?
情景对话:
A: It's said Lucy and her husband had a row yesterday. 听说露西昨天和她老公吵架了。
B: They always like this, I couldn't figure out why not they divorce. 他们总是这样,我搞不懂他们为什么不离婚。
4.save oneself...这里的意思是“”使某人免于...
Own up to your wrong-doings and save yourself a lot of trouble.
你承认自己的错误可以节省很多的麻烦。
情景对话:
A: I think I shouldn't come here any more. 我想我再也不会来这里了。
B: Why do you think so? 你怎么这么想呢?
A: This way I could save myself seeing so many annoying people. 这样就可以不用再见这么多讨厌的人了。
5. regret doing sth.“后悔做了某事”;
I regret disturbing yo so long.
我很抱歉打扰了你那么久.
而regret to do sth. 则是“很遗憾地/抱歉地做...”(事情还没有做)
I regret to tell you that you can't pass the examination.
我很遗憾地通知你你不能通过这次考试.
情景对话:
A: Be prudent in making big decision, or you would regret doing that way.做重大决定时要小心,否则你会为此后悔的。
B: Yeah, thank you for warning. 谢谢你的提醒。