- aSir, may I please see your license and registration? Do you know how fast you were going?
先生,我可以看看你的驾照和登记证吗?你知道你开得有多快吗?
- bNo, I’m not sure. I think about 65 mph, right?
不,我不知道。我想时速大约是65英里,对吗?
- aYou’re not sure? You were going at 90 miles per hour! That’s 25 mph over the legal speed limit! Have you been drinking?
你不知道?你正以90英里的时速行驶!超过法定时速25英里!你在喝酒吗?
- bNo, Officer, not at all.
没有,警官,我根本没有喝酒。
- aThen how can you explain your behavior?
那你怎么解释你的所作所为?
- bWell, I guess I just wasn’t paying attention to the speedometer.
唔,我想我只是没有注意速度计表。
- aNot paying attention to the speedometer? Why not?
没有注意速度计表?为什么没有注意?
- bUm, because I was busy talking to my friend.
嗯,因为我忙着和朋友谈话。
- aOn a cell phone?
用手提电话?
- bYes, I was using a cell phone. I just bought it, so I decided to give my friend a phone call to tell him about it. While I did that I also turned on the radio and was listening to one of my favorite songs, and eating some food I had bought at a fast food restaurant, and, um…… guess I had too many distractions.
是的,我在用手提电话。我刚买的,所以我决定给我的朋友打个电话,告诉他这件事。与此同时,我还打开了收音机,正在听一首我特别喜欢听的歌,吃一些我在速食店买的食物,还有,嗯……我想我分心的事太多了。
- aThat’s definitely true. I’m going to have to give you a ticket. Please remember to drive more carefully next time.
肯定是这样了。我要给你一张罚款单。请记住下次开车时要多加小心。