第一、重点短语精讲
1. pay for:为......而付出代价
e.g. I don't know why the children must pay for our sins.
我不明白为什么要让孩子来抵偿我们的罪过。
e.g. You will pay for your dishonesty.
你不老实,总有一天会吃苦头的。
2. wear sb. out:使某人精疲力竭或厌烦
Exp. cause sb to become exhausted; tire sb out
e.g. They were worn out after a long day spent working in the fields.
他们在地里干了一整天的活儿, 累得疲惫不堪。
e.g. Just listening to his silly chatter wears me out.
我听着他无聊的话把我烦透了。
3. brush up on sth.:温习,巩固
Exp. study or practise sth in order to get back a skill that was lost
e.g. I advise you to make the best use of your time to brush up on your lessons before examination
我劝你在考试前抓紧时间温习功课。
e.g. Your ideas are good, but you need to brush up on your tact.
你的想法很好,但你得先锻炼一下做事的方法。
e.g. He should brush up on the basic chords.
他应该好好练习基本和弦。
3. remind sb. of sth.:让某人想起某物,勾起某人对某物的记忆
e.g. Now that you remind me of this matter, I have a vague impression of it.
这事经你一提醒, 我脑子里才有点儿影子。
e.g. Yellow flowers of rape always remind me of my childhood in the countryside.
黄黄的油菜花总使我想起我在农村时的童年。
e.g. Could you remind me of it on Saturday in case it slips my mind?
万一星期六忘了,你能提醒我一下吗?
4. in the saddle:在权,掌职
e.g. My brother as a manager was in the saddle again.
我兄弟又当上了经理。
e.g. He was determined to stay in the saddle at all costs.
他打定主意要不惜一切代价继续掌权。
第二、短语积累
at one’s age:在某人的这个年龄
come out with:和......一起出门,和......一起出去
everyone else:其他所有人
in the saddle:在马鞍上