重点讲解:
1. step down
辞职;下台;让位;
eg. Judge Ito said that if his wife was called as a witness, he would step down as trial judge.
伊藤法官说,如果他的妻子被传作证,他将不再担任初审法官。
eg. Many would prefer to see him step aside in favour of a younger man.
很多人更希望看到他下台,以让位给更年轻的人。
2. go along
进展;进行;
eg. My life is going along nicely.
我的生活一帆风顺。
eg. Things were going along fairly well.
事情进展十分顺利。
3. at sb's wit end
智穷才尽;黔驴技穷;无计可施
We row a lot and we never have time on our own. I'm at my wit's end.
我们经常争吵,从无在一起的时间,我真是没有办法了。
eg. He had approached every friend and acquaintance for help in vain and he was at his wit's end.
他曾向每位朋友和熟人求助,但毫无结果,那时他真是一筹莫展。
4. waste no time in doing sth.
立即;马上;
eg. Tom wasted no time in telling me why he had come.
汤姆马上告诉了我他来的原因。
eg. If you are so certain that these newsletters contain nothing of interest, waste no time in reading them.
如果你确定这些通讯没有任何令你感兴趣的东西,那就不要浪费时间去读它。
adj. 在 ... 之前,先,前,以前的