Dialogue 4
Adam,I'm sorry!
亚当,对不起。
But where have you been,Alice?You're over an hour late.
爱丽思,你到哪里去了?你迟到超过一个小时了。
Yes,but I couldn't help it.I was late getting off work for a start,
是的,但我身不由己。一开始我就迟下班,
and then I missed the bus.The bus I did catch got caught in a traffic jam.
然后错过了公共汽车。我后来坐上的公共汽车又遇到了交通堵塞。
It was one thing after another.
倒霉事真是接踵而来。
But why were you getting off work so late?
那你为什么迟了下班呢?
The office close at six,doesn't it?
办公室六点关门,对吗?
Yes,but there's a rush on at the moment,
是的,但那时有点急事,
and my boss asked me to do some urgent letters.
我的老板要我处理一些紧急的信件。
But didn't you tell him you had an appointment?
但你为什么不告诉他你有个约会呢?
Well,no.I thought I'd finish in about five minutes
哦,我没有。我以为我能在五分钟内完成它,
and I didn't want to be difficult about just a few minutes.
我不想在仅仅几分钟的事情斤斤计较。
If it hadn't been for missing the bus and the traffic,
如果没有错过公共汽车和遇到交通堵塞,
I wouldn't have been so late.I'm sorry.
我不会那么晚的。
Well,you're here.And that's the main thing.
嗯,你已经在这里了。这才是最重要的。