It made me uneasy, as though the whole evening had been a trick of some sort to exact a contributory emotion from me.
这使我感到不安,仿佛整个晚上都是一种诡计,想从我这里榨取一份感情似的。
I waited, and sure enough, in a moment she looked at me with an absolute smirk on her lovely face,
我等待着,果然,过了一会儿,她看着我,可爱的脸上带着一丝得意的神情,
as if she had asserted her membership in a rather distinguished secret society to which she and Tom belonged.
仿佛炫耀她是一个相当显赫的秘密团体的成员,她和汤姆都是。
Inside, the crimson room bloomed with light.
屋内,深红色的房间里灯火辉煌。
Tom and Miss Baker sat at either end of the long couch and she read aloud to him from the Saturday Evening Post.
汤姆和贝克小姐坐在长沙发的两头,她在朗读《星期六晚邮报》。
The words, murmurous and uninflected, running together in a soothing tune.
这几句话都是没有语调起伏的低声细语,构成一种舒缓的调子。
The lamp-light, bright on his boots and dull on the autumn-leaf yellow of her hair,
灯光照在他的靴子上,照在她秋叶般发黄的头发上,显得暗淡无光,
glinted along the paper as she turned a page with a flutter of slender muscles in her arms.
她翻着书,手臂上纤细的肌肉颤动着。
When we came in, she held a silent for a moment with a lifted hand.
我们进来时,她举起一只手,沉默了一会儿。
“To be continued,” she said, tossing the magazine on the table, “in our very next issue.”
“待续,”她把杂志扔在桌上说,“下一期。”
Her body asserted itself with a restless movement of her knee, and she stood up.
她的身体随着膝盖一动,身体一直,她站了起来。
“Ten o’clock,” she remarked, apparently finding the time on the ceiling. “Time for this good girl to go to bed.”
“十点钟了,”她说,显然发现了天花板上的时间。“我这个好姑娘该睡觉了。”
“Jordan’s going to play in the tournament to-morrow,” explained Daisy, “over at Westchester.”
“乔丹明天要参加比赛,”黛西解释说,“在韦斯切斯特。”
“Oh — you're Jordan Baker.”
“哦——原来你是乔丹·贝克。”
I knew now why her face was familiar — its pleasing contemptuous expression had looked out at me
我现在知道为什么她的脸是熟悉的了——是因为它那令人愉快的轻蔑的表情
from many rotogravure pictures of the sporting life at Asheville and Hot Springs and Palm Beach.
我曾经从阿什维尔市、温泉市和棕榈滩市有关体育生活的许多报道照片看到过。
I had heard some story of her too, a critical, unpleasant story,
我也听过她的一些故事,一个尖锐的、令人不快的故事,
but what it was I had forgotten long ago.
但是我很久以前就忘记了。
“Good night,” she said softly. “Wake me at eight, won't you.”
“晚安,”她轻声说。“八点钟叫醒我,好吗?”
“If you'll get up.”
“如果你起得来的话。”
“I will. Good night, Mr. Carraway. See you anon.”
“我一定可以。晚安,卡罗威先生。改天见吧。”
“Of course you will,” confirmed Daisy.
“你们当然会再见面的,”黛西保证道。