手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语演讲 > TED-Ed教育演讲 > 正文

你能解开秘制酱汁之谜吗

来源:可可英语 编辑:max   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet

One of the top chefs from Pasta Palace has been kidnapped by operatives from Burger Bazaar hoping to learn the location of their secret sauce recipe.

意粉宫餐厅的顶级厨师之一被汉堡殿餐厅工作人员绑架,他们想获知其秘制酱汁配方藏在哪里。
Little do they know that a third party -- Sausage Saloon -- has sent you to take advantage of the situation.
他们有所不知,第三方餐厅热狗城也派他们的最高间谍,也就是你,前来打探。
As their top spy, your skills range from infiltration and subterfuge, to safecracking and reading faces for signs of deception.
作为他们的顶级间谍,你精通卧底、诡计、开保险箱和读心术。
You've tracked the captors to where they're holding the chef prisoner.
你跟踪到他们关押厨师的地方。
From your hiding spot, you can see him on the other side of the glass,
从你的藏身之处,能看到玻璃另一边的厨师,
while in front of you an interrogator wearing headphones speaks into a microphone.
而在你的面前,戴耳机的审讯者正对着麦克风说话。
"We already know the recipe is on the 13th floor of the bank vault, in a safe deposit box numbered between 13 and 1300.
“我们得知配方在银行金库13楼,在编号13到1300间的保险箱里。
Now tell us... Is the number less than 500?"
现在告诉我们,这个数字小于500吗?”
You can't hear the chef's answer, but you can see that he's lying.
你听不到厨师的回答,但你可以看出他在撒谎。
The interrogator, however, falls for it.
但审讯者相信了厨师的话。
He follows up by asking, "Is it a perfect square?"
他接着问道:“这个数是完全平方吗?”
Again you can't hear the answer but can tell the chef is lying, while the interrogator takes him at his word.
你听不见答案,但能看出厨师又撒谎了,而审讯者相信了他的话。
He then asks, "Is it a perfect cube?"
然后他问:“它是完全立方吗?”
This time the chef answers truthfully.
这一次,厨师如实回答了。
The interrogator thinks for a minute and says, "Good. Now if you just tell me whether or not the number's second digit is a one, we'll be done here."
审讯者想了一会儿,说道:“好。现在只要你告诉我第二位数字是不是1,你就没事了。”
But as the chef starts to answer, the interrogator stands up, blocking your view.
但当厨师开始回答时,审讯者站起来,挡住了你的视线。
Within moments he rushes out of the room, announcing that he's got the answer and is sending agents to retrieve the recipe.
不一会儿,他就冲出了房间,宣布他得到了答案,并派人去取配方。
You know that the Burger Bazaar people have the wrong box number.
你知道汉堡殿餐厅的人得到的箱号是错的。
But can you figure out the right one and retrieve the recipe yourself?
但你能想出正确的号码并拿到配方吗?
The key here is to work backwards.
解题的关键是倒推。
We don't know what the chef answers to the final question or whether he answers truthfully.
我们不知道最后问题的回答,以及厨师是否撒谎了。
But we do know that by the time the interrogator asks it, he's narrowed the options down to two numbers
但我们确实知道,当审讯者提问时,他将范围缩小到两个数,
one where the second digit is 1, and one where it isn't.
一个数的第二位为1,而另一个不是。

你能解开秘制酱汁之谜吗

Our goal, then, is to find answers to the previous questions that lead to just two possibilities.

那么,我们的目标是找出导致仅2个数的先前问题的答案。
Of the three constraints offered, the one that narrows our options the most is if the number is a perfect cube.
在提问的三个问题中,最能缩小我们选项的,是该数是否为完全立方。
That leaves us with only eight answers between 13 and 1300.
而13到1300之间只有8个数符合要求。
So let's assume the answer to the third question was a truthful YES.
假设第三个问题的答案是真的。
Now, let's look at the second question.
接着看第二个问题。
If the chef answered YES to the number being a perfect square, it would narrow the interrogator's options to just 64 and 729
如果厨师回答说它是完全平方,那么审讯者的选项缩小为64和729,
the only numbers in our range that are both a square and a cube.
只有这两个数同时是完全平方完全立方。
But neither of these has a 1 as the second digit. So the given answer to the second question must've been NO.
但这两个数的第二位都不是1。所以,第二个问题的答案肯定是否定的。
And that also means we can eliminate these two squares from the interrogator's list, leaving only six numbers.
也就是说,可以把这两个数从审讯者的选项中删掉,这样,只剩下六个数字。
Now for the first question, which allows us to divide this list.
现在回到第一个问题,可以把候选答案一分为二。
If the chef answered YES to the number being less than 500, we'd have four options, which is too many.
数字是否小于500的问题,如果厨师回答“是”,我们有四个选项,太多了。
But a NO leaves us with two numbers greater than 500, one of which does have a 1 as its second digit.
若厨师的回答是“否”的话,则只有两个数字大于500,其中一个数的第二位是1。
We don't know which of these numbers the interrogator thinks is correct.
我们不知道审讯者选了哪个数。
But that doesn't matter -- remember, his conclusion was based on lies.
但没关系--记住,他的结论是基于谎言得出的。
You, on the other hand, are now in a position to reconstruct the truth.
也就是说,你现在可以得出正确结论。
First, the chef said the number was greater than 500 but lied, meaning it's actually less than 500.
首先,厨师谎称数字大于500,这意味着它实际上小于500;
Second, the chef said it wasn't a perfect square but lied again, meaning the number is indeed a square.
其次,厨师谎称它不是完全平方,而实际上它是完全平方;
And finally, he truthfully confirmed that it was also a cube.
最后,他承认它完全立方。
And as we've already seen, the only number under 500 that's both a square and a cube is 64.
正如我们已经看到的那样,小于500的数中,只有64同时完全平方和完全立方。
You find the secret recipe and are gone before anyone's the wiser.
在其他人弄明白前,你成功拿到秘方后离开了。
Corporate espionage is not an easy game -- but sometimes, that's just how the sausage is made.
企业间谍活动并非易事--但有时,就是仅为得到香肠配方。

重点单词   查看全部解释    
bazaar [bə'zɑ:]

想一想再看

n. 市集,商场,义卖的地方

联想记忆
retrieve [ri'tri:v]

想一想再看

vt. 挽回,恢复,回忆,补偿
vi. 找回猎

联想记忆
infiltration [,infil'treiʃən]

想一想再看

n. 渗透;渗透物

 
reconstruct [.ri:kən'strʌkt]

想一想再看

vt. 重建,修复,重现

联想记忆
cube [kju:b]

想一想再看

n. 立方体,立方
vt. 求 ... 的立方

 
espionage [.espiə'nɑ:ʒ]

想一想再看

n. 间谍活动

联想记忆
recipe ['resipi]

想一想再看

n. 食谱,秘诀,药方

联想记忆
conclusion [kən'klu:ʒən]

想一想再看

n. 结论

 
range [reindʒ]

想一想再看

n. 范围,行列,射程,山脉,一系列
v. 排

 
eliminate [i'limineit]

想一想再看

v. 除去,剔除; 忽略

联想记忆

    阅读本文的人还阅读了:
  • 为什么你要读《午夜之子》 2021-11-04
  • 国际象棋简史 2021-11-08
  • 凯尔特人德鲁伊生活中的一天 2021-11-15
  • 是什么让霓虹灯发光的 2021-11-18
  • 三宝磨的传说 2021-11-22
  • 发布评论我来说2句

      最新文章

      可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

      每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

      添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
      添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。