手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语视频听力 > 热点资讯传送门 > 正文

洪水灾难下的生存指南

来源:可可英语 编辑:max   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet

Heavy rain has been coming down for days and it won't let up.

大雨已经一连下了好几天,而且没有要停下来的意思。
A loud crash outside catches your attention. You look out the window.
外面一声巨响引起了你的注意。你望向窗外。
A massive surge of water is sweeping away trees, cars, and buildings with ease.
一股巨大的洪水,轻而易举地冲走了树木、汽车和建筑物。
A flash flood has overrun your town.
一场山洪淹没了你的城镇。
The floodwater bursts open your door and starts rushing into your house.
洪水突然冲开了你的家门,涌入你的房子里。
Hold your breath, because here's how to survive a flood.
屏住呼吸,因为下面会教你如何在洪水中幸存下来。
You might think that hurricanes or earthquakes top the list of the deadliest natural disasters.
你可能认为飓风或地震是最致命的自然灾害。
But floods are one of the most common, most destructive, and most deadly natural disasters in the world.
但洪水才是世界上最常见、最具破坏性、最致命的自然灾害。
Floods happen when water overflows onto dry land.
当水溢出到陆地上时,洪水就形成了。
This can be caused by heavy rain, ocean waves, or when a dam breaks.
这可能是由暴雨、海浪或大坝决堤造成的。
They're frequent in coastal areas, floodplains, and areas near a river or stream.
这些情况经常出现在沿海地区、洪泛区,或者是靠近河流或小溪的地区。
And with rising sea levels and heavier rainfall due to climate change, the number of floods is projected to increase drastically.
随着气候变化导致的海平面上升和降雨量的增加,洪水量预计将急剧增加。
How can you make your house floodproof?
如何让你自己的房屋防洪呢?
Why should you stay out of the water at all costs?
为什么你要不惜一切代价远离水面?
And what should you do if you're swept away in a flood?
如果你被洪水冲走了该怎么办?
Step 1: Protect Your House
第1步:保护好你的房子
First things first. Protect yourself and your property.
重中之重。保护好你自己和你的财产。
If you live in an area that's prone to flooding, one of the best things you can do to prepare is to make your house floodproof.
如果你住在一个容易发生洪水的地区,你能做的最好的准备措施,就是保证你的房子防洪。
Feeling handy? You can fortify your house by constructing a barrier to stop the floodwater.
感觉很容易吧?你要筑一道可以阻止洪水的堤坝,以此来加固你的房子。
Building levees, floodwalls, or piling up sandbags can help keep the water out.
建造堤坝、防洪堤或堆积沙袋,都有助于阻挡洪水。
If the flood breaks through the barriers, the first place it'll reach is your basement.
如果洪水冲破了这些屏障,它最先到达的地方就是你的地下室。
Sealing the basement walls with a waterproofing coating can help to avoid seepage and damage.
用防水涂料密封地下室墙壁,可以防止渗水和损坏。
Now that you've prepared your house, what should you do to prepare yourself?
既然你已经让你的房子最好了准备,那你自己该做些什么呢?
Step 2: Prepare
第2步:做好准备工作
When a flood happens, chances are you won't be able to head out for a peaceful stroll to the grocery store.
当洪水发生时,你可能就无法平稳地漫步到杂货店了。
So stock up on emergency supplies ahead of time.
所以要提前储备应急物资。
Buy plenty of bottled water, non-perishable food, flashlights, and a first aid kit.
要购买大量的瓶装水、不易腐烂的食物、手电筒和急救箱。
Oh, and pack a bottle of bug spray too.
对了,还要带上一瓶杀虫剂。
Floods don't just force people out of their homes.
洪水不仅仅迫使人们离开家园。
All kinds of bugs and pests will be flooded out of their habitats and into yours.
各种各样的虫子和害虫,也将会被洪水把它们从栖息地冲到你居住的地方。
Looks like a flood's on it's way. Get ready.
看来洪水就要来了。快做好准备工作。

洪水灾难下的生存指南

Step 3: Save Your Belongings

第三步:保存好你的物品
A flood warning is in effect. That means a flood is about to happen, or is already happening.
洪水警报已经响起。这意味着洪水即将到来,或者已经到来了。
Gather all your valuables, like your computer, phone, important documents, and your pets.
整理好你所有的贵重物品,比如电脑、手机、重要文件和你的宠物。
Move them to a higher floor where they're less likely to be damaged or lost in the flood.
把这些物品都移到更高的楼层中去,这样就不容易在洪水中损坏或丢失了。
If you don't have an upper level, try to get your belongings somewhere high and safe, like a family member or friend's home.
如果你家没有更高的楼层,那就尽量把这些物品搬到更高、安全的地方,比如亲戚或朋友的家里。
Water starts seeping through the cracks of your house. It's rising fast. What should you do now?
水已经开始从你房子的裂缝中渗入了。水平面在快速上升。你现在应该做什么呢?
Step 4: Stay out of the water
第4步:离水远一些
If you're at home, don't go downstairs.
如果你在家里,那就不要下楼。
Instead, get to a higher level above the water. But don't hide in the attic.
相反,要爬到更高的地方上去。但是不要躲在阁楼里。
Since most attics only have one way to get in or out, you could easily get trapped in there.
由于大多数阁楼只有一种进出方式,所以你很容易被困在里面。
If you forgot something in the flood, or are thinking about walking through a flooded area, don't.
如果你把什么东西忘在了洪水中,或者打算穿过一个被洪水淹没的区域,一定不要这么做。
It'll be hard to determine how deep the water is, and what kinds hazards lie below.
你无法确定水有多深,以及下面有什么危险。
The water might even be electrically charged from a downed power line.
水面下可能是被冲垮的电线,从而导电。
And whatever you do, don't drink tap water, and especially don't drink the flood water.
不管你做什么,都不要喝自来水,尤其是不要喝洪水。
It could be contaminated with sewage, gasoline, or bacteria. Stick to your bottled water.
它可能被污水、汽油或细菌污染了。要一直喝你的瓶装水。
The rain's unrelenting. The flood's still rising. Forget your belongings.
雨水无情。洪水还在上涨。忘掉你的家产吧。
Your last resort is to get on the roof and call for help.
你最后的办法,就是爬上屋顶求救。
But the wind is strong, and an unsuspecting wave pushes you into the water.
但是风很大,让你始料不及的海浪会把你推入水中。
Step 5: Position Yourself
第5步:把自己的位置固定住
You're caught in the fast moving flood.
你现在掉入湍急的洪水中了。
Do everything possible to keep your feet pointed downstream and move over obstacles.
尽一切可能让你的脚指向下游,然后翻越障碍物。
Then, try to grab or climb onto anything that can keep you stable or above the water.
接下来,努力抓住或爬上任何能让你保持稳定或浮在水面上的东西。
Once you've got ahold of something, yell for help, as loudly as possible.
一旦你抓住了什么东西,那就开始大声呼救吧,越大声越好。
Step 6: The Aftermath
第6步:洪水过后
You caught a lucky break. A rescue team saved you, and the flood died down.
你很走运。救援队把你救了下来,洪水也平息了。
But don't settle down just yet. You've got some cleaning up to do.
但先别放松。你还有很多善后的事情要做。
Everything in your home that was in contact with the floodwaters could be contaminated.
你家中所有与洪水接触过的东西都可能被污染了。
Remember, the water may have been polluted with sewage and diseases.
要谨记,水源可能已经被污水和细菌污染了。
Disinfect contaminated surfaces, and stay away from any water that still might be electrically charged.
对被污染的物体表面进行消毒,并远离任何有可能导电的水源。
Once your house is dry and clean, take a rest. You survived a flood.
当你的房子干燥、干净了下来,休息休息。你这才算是从洪水中幸存了下来。

重点单词   查看全部解释    
resort [ri'zɔ:t]

想一想再看

n. (度假)胜地,手段,凭借
vi. 诉诸,

联想记忆
surge [sə:dʒ]

想一想再看

n. 汹涌,澎湃
v. 汹涌,涌起,暴涨

联想记忆
gasoline ['gæsəli:n]

想一想再看

n. 汽油

 
stroll [strəul]

想一想再看

n. 闲逛,漫步
v. 闲逛,漫步

联想记忆
attic ['ætik]

想一想再看

n. 阁楼

联想记忆
destructive [di'strʌktiv]

想一想再看

adj. 破坏性的,有害的

联想记忆
massive ['mæsiv]

想一想再看

adj. 巨大的,大规模的,大量的,大范围的

 
dam [dæm]

想一想再看

n. 水坝,堤,障碍物
vt. 筑坝,抑制(情

 
property ['prɔpəti]

想一想再看

n. 财产,所有物,性质,地产,道具

联想记忆
prone [prəun]

想一想再看

adj. 俯卧的,易于 ... 的,有 ... 倾向的

联想记忆

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。