手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语视频听力 > 全球顶级智囊访谈 > 正文

世界并非非黑即白(上)

来源:可可英语 编辑:Daisy   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet

Our brain evolved to take what is meaningless to make it meaningful.

我们大脑的进化可以将无意义的东西变得有意义。

Everything you do right now is grounded in your assumptions.

你现在所做的一切都以自己的假设为基础。

Not sometimes, but all the time.

一直以来都是如此。

We are kind of hardwired to figure out the intentions of other people.

我们执意想要明白他人的意图。

We turn the world into us's and thems.

我们把世界分成我们的和他人的。

And we don't like the thems very much and are often really awful to them.

我们不喜欢他人的世界,甚至非常讨厌。

That's the challenge of our tribalistic world that we're in right now.

这就是我们现在所处的部落主义世界带来的挑战。

When you look at some of the most appalling realms of our behavior, much of it has to do with the fact that social organisms are really, really hardwired to make a basic dichotomy about the social world,

当你看到人们行为中最让人毛骨悚然的部分时,大多数情况都与一个事实有关,即社会上的生物体确实执意要把世界一分为二,

which is those organisms who count as us's and those who count as thems.

要么是我们这一阵营的,要么是另外一个阵营的。

And this is virtually universal among humans.

这一现象在人类中几乎普遍存在。

And this is virtually universal among all sorts of social primates that have aspects of social structures built around separate social groupings, us's and thems.

这在各种社会灵长类动物中也几乎普遍存在,它们的社会结构都是围绕着独立的社会群体,即 “我们 ”和 “他们 ”建立的。

0.png

We turn the world into us's and thems and we don't like the thems very much and are often really awful to them.

我们把世界变成了“我们 ”和 “他们 ” ,我们不喜欢“他们 ”,并且对他们态度恶劣。

And the us's, we exaggerate how wonderful and how generous and how affiliative and how just like siblings they are to us.

而对于“我们 ”这一群体,我们极尽夸赞,称其多么美好、多么慷慨、多么团结,就像兄弟姐妹一样。

We divide the world into us and them.

我们把世界分为我们和他们。

And one of the greatest ways of seeing just biologically how real this fault line is is there's this hormone oxytocin.

从生物学上看是一个很好的角度,这种断层是由于荷尔蒙催产素。

Oxytocin is officially the coolest, grooviest hormone on Earth because what everybody knows is it enhances mother infant bonding, and it enhances pair bonding in couples.

催产素是地球上最酷、最棒的荷尔蒙,它能增强母婴之间的纽带,也能增进夫妻感情。

And it makes you more trusting and empathic and emotionally expressive and better at reading expressions, more charitable.

它让你更容易信任别人、更有同情心、更有情感表现力、更善于阅读表达,更有爱心。

And it's obvious that if you just spritz the oxytocin up everyone's noses on this planet, it would be the Garden of Eden the next day.

很明显,如果你把催产素喷到地球上所有人的鼻子上,第二天整个地球就会变成伊甸园。

Oxytocin promotes prosocial behavior, until people look closely.

催产素会促进亲社会行为,人们仔细观察就能发现这一点。

And it turns out, oxytocin does all those wondrous things only for people who you think of as an us, as an in-group member.

但事实表明,催产素只对那些你认为是自己群体内的人才有神奇的效果。

It improves in-group favoritism, in-group parochialism.

它能够改善群体内的偏爱,群体内的狭隘。

What does it do to individuals who you consider a them?

它对那些你认为是他们的人有什么作用呢?

It makes you crappier to them.

它让你更加讨厌他们。

More preemptively, aggressive, less cooperative in an economic game.

在经济游戏中,你会先发制人,咄咄逼人,不配合。

What oxytocin does is enhance this us and them divide.

催产素所做的是加深这种我们和他们之间的分歧。

So that along with other findings, the classic lines of us versus them along the lines of race, of sex, of age, of socioeconomic class, your brain processes these us-them differences on a scale of milliseconds.

因此,结合其他研究结果,我们与他们的界限是种族、性别、年龄、社会经济阶层,你的大脑能在几毫秒内辨别出我们与他们之间的这些差异。

A 20th of a second, your brain is already responding differently to an us versus them.

在20分之一秒内,你的大脑已经对“我们”和“他们”做出了不同的反应。

So fabulous studies showing this, this double-edged quality to oxytocin.

因此,令人难以置信的研究表明,催产素具有双刃剑的特性。

And this was a study done by a group in the Netherlands.

这是荷兰的一个小组所做的研究。

And what they did was they took Dutch University student volunteers and they gave them classic philosophy problem,

他们让荷兰大学的学生志愿者向他们提出一个经典的哲学问题,

the runaway trolley problem, is it okay to sacrifice one person to save five?

失控电车的问题,我们是否要牺牲一个人去救另外五个人?

Runaway trolley. Can you push this big beefy guy onto the track who gets squashed by the trolley but that slows it down so that five people tied to the track...

失控的电车。能不能把这一个人推到轨道上,让他被电车压倒,但这能让车慢下来,所以绑在轨道上的那五个人......

Standard problem in philosophy, utilitarianism, ends justifies means. All of that.

哲学中的标准问题,功利主义,不择手段,所有这些都是。

So you give people the scenario and people have varying opinions.

所以,给人们一个场景,人们会有不同的意见。

And now you give them the scenario where the person you push onto the track has a name.

现在如果你告诉他们,你推到轨道上的那个人有名字。

And either it's a standard name from Netherlands, Dirk.

可能是来自荷兰的一个名字,德克。

I think he was a Pieter, which, this is like a meat and potatoes Netherlandish name or a name from either of two groups that evoke lots of xenophobic hostility among people from the Netherlands.

我想他是一个叫皮艾特的人,这就像是荷兰最普通的一个名字,或者是一个来自两个群体的名字,而这两个群体在荷兰人中引起了很多仇外的敌意。

Someone with a typically German name. Oh yeah, World War II, that's right. That was a problem.

一个有着典型德国名字的人。哦,对了,还有二战呢。那可不行。

Or someone with a typically Muslim name.

或者有一个典型的穆斯林名字的人。

So now they're choosing whether to save five by pushing Dirk onto the track or Otto or Mahmoud.

所以现在他们要选择是把德克推上轨道还是把奥托或穆罕默德推上轨道,来拯救其他五个人。

And in general, give them those names and there's no difference in how people would rate it than if they were anonymous.

一般来说,给他们这些名字与他们是匿名,并不会影响人们最终的评价。

Give people oxytocin, where they don't know that they've gotten it.

让人们产生催产素,但他们自己并不知情。

Control group has just placebo spritz up their nose.

对照组只是在鼻子里喷了安慰剂。

Give people oxytocin and kumbaya, you are far less likely to push Dirk onto the track.

让人们产生催产素,莫名其妙地,你就更不愿意把德克推到轨道上了。

And you are now far more likely to push good old Otto or good old Mahmoud onto the rails there.

你现在更有可能把老好人奥托或老好人穆罕默德推到轨道上。

And you are more likely to sacrifice an out-group member to save five.

而且你更可能牺牲一个非我们阵营的成员去拯救这五个人。

And you are less likely to sacrifice an in-group member.

你不太可能牺牲一个内部成员。

All you've done there is exaggerate the us-them divide with that.

你所做的只是夸大了我们和他们之间的区别。

重点单词   查看全部解释    
control [kən'trəul]

想一想再看

n. 克制,控制,管制,操作装置
vt. 控制

 
evoke [i'vəuk]

想一想再看

vt. 唤起,引起

联想记忆
obvious ['ɔbviəs]

想一想再看

adj. 明显的,显然的

联想记忆
exaggerate [ig'zædʒəreit]

想一想再看

v. 夸大,夸张

 
sacrifice ['sækrifais]

想一想再看

n. 牺牲,供俸,祭品
vt. 牺牲,祭祀,贱

联想记忆
quality ['kwɔliti]

想一想再看

n. 品质,特质,才能
adj. 高品质的

 
separate ['sepəreit]

想一想再看

n. 分开,抽印本
adj. 分开的,各自的,

 
fault [fɔ:lt]

想一想再看

n. 缺点,过失,故障,毛病,过错,[地]断层

 
enhance [in'hɑ:ns]

想一想再看

vt. 提高,加强,增加

 
figure ['figə]

想一想再看

n. 图形,数字,形状; 人物,外形,体型
v

联想记忆

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。