手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语演讲 > TED演讲视频 > 正文

反向导师制如何培养更好的领导者

来源:可可英语 编辑:max   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet

We've always thought of mentoring as the older generation passing down wisdom to the young,

我们通常认为的导师指导是老一辈将智慧传递给年轻人。
but there's a huge benefit to flipping that around and allowing the novice to teach the master.
但是我们将它反过来,让新手教老手,将会有意想不到的收获。
The workforce currently consists of up to five generations and it's becoming more diverse across all spectrums of underrepresented groups.
目前的社会劳动力由五代人组成,由于涉及了许多特殊群体,劳动力人群变得越来越多样化。
But that change is not arriving nearly as fast in C-suites and in boardrooms.
但是这个变化的速度在企业高管层、董事会并没有那么快。
Which means there's a growing gap between leaders and their people in regards to their perspectives and experiences.
这就意味着,领导者和他们的员工在观点和经验方面的差距越来越大。
Our organizations can fall right through that gap into the trap of stale thinking, blind spots and having policies that could alienate these underrepresented groups,
我们的团队通过这个差距,从陈旧的思想、认知的盲点和对特殊群体不友好的政策入手,
not only in regards to age, race or gender, but all different kinds of viewpoints.
不仅是年龄、种族或者性别,还包括持各种不同观点的人群。
Reverse mentoring could be an antidote to that tunnel vision.
反向指导可能是克服这种狭隘愿景的良药。
But making reverse mentoring work, isn't as simple as finding a mentor and pressing go.
但是,让反向指导发挥作用,不只是找到一位导师那样简单。
You have to be genuinely curious about learning from that individual.
你必须发自内心地对向导师学习这件事感兴趣。
And you have to be intentional about the relationship in order to make it valuable.
也必须有意识地对待这段关系,才可以使它有价值。
I know this because I was asked just a year into my career at Virgin Atlantic to be the first ever reverse mentor to mentor CEO Craig Kreeger.
我之所以知道这一点,是因为我在维珍大西洋工作的第一年,就被要求成为首席官克雷格·柯里格的反向导师,而且是公司的第一位反向导师。
I'd met Craig a few times and presented to him in meetings, but this, it was a whole different ball game.
我见过克雷格几面,也在他面前做过报告,但这次则是完全不同的情况。
Craig had revealed that he had no black women in his inner circle
克雷格向我透露,他的核心社交圈里没有黑人女性,
and he was keen to understand my perspective on how to build a more inclusive culture at Virgin Atlantic.
他很想了解我对如何在维珍建立更具包容性文化的看法。
No pressure. Here's what I learned about how to make reverse mentoring work.
不要有压力。下面是我学到的关于如何让反向指导发挥作用的知识。
Lesson one, make your match thoughtfully.
第一点,慎重挑选与你匹配的人。
Find someone who has a pulse on the key spokespeople in the organization to help you make your match.
找一个对组织中关键发言人有了解的人来帮你匹配。
This doesn't have to be someone in human resources, just someone who knows you and your teams well, because chemistry really matters.
这个人并非必须是人力资源部的,只要是了解你和你的团队人就可以,因为任何人之间微妙的化学反应真的很重要。
The VP of people experience chose me because I was open to sharing my ideas and also my enthusiasm for leadership development.
员工体验部的副总裁选择了我,是因为我愿意分享我的想法和我对领导力培养的热情。
Also make sure that your mentor isn't a direct report or part of your team,
还要确保你的导师不是你的直接下属或者你团队中的一员,
because it will be really difficult to elicit honest feedback from someone who you also have to review at the end of the year.
因为你很难从一个你年底还要评估的人那里得到真实的反馈。
If you're in finance, find someone creative in marketing, or if you're in engineering, find someone in customer service.
如果你从事金融行业,找一个在市场营销方面有创意的人,如果你从事工程行业,找一个客户服务部门的人。
This will ensure that you develop perspectives from outside of your immediate team and different perspectives make better leaders.
这可以确保你跳出周边环境,发展新的视角,而且不同的视角有助于培养更好的领导者。
Lesson two, to make things simple, set some ground rules.
第二点,制定一些基本规则让事情简单化。
The first meeting should be offsite in a neutral location.
第一次会面应该选在一个中立的场合。
If you're the mentee, you should set the agenda.
如果你是聆听者,你应该制定议程。
What is it that you really want to learn?
你真正想学的是什么?

反向导师制如何培养更好的领导者

Maybe you'd like to understand your mentor's career journey or perhaps whether they've had any major obstacles they've had to overcome,

或许你想要了解你导师的职业生涯,或者他们是否遇到了一些困难需要克服,
or maybe you'd like to understand how specific company policies impact them either directly or indirectly.
再或者,你想要了解公司的政策怎样直接或间接地影响他们。
Agree that your conversations together will be confidential and whether there are any topics which are off limits,
要一致同意你们之间的谈话是保密的,以及是否有任何禁止谈论的话题,
such as family life or specific feedback on individuals.
比如家庭生活或者一些对个人的具体评价。
Lesson three, start with an icebreaker.
第三点,以活跃气氛的话题开始。
I like to think of this as a long elevator pitch of your life stories.
我喜欢把它作为你人生故事的一个“电梯游说”。
Who are you? Poignant moments in your life.
你是谁?你人生中最痛苦的时刻。
What are your hopes and dreams? Pivot to seek differences and not similarities because that's the real power of reverse mentoring.
你的希望和梦想是什么?寻找差异而不是相同点,因为这才是反向指导真正的力量所在。
Craig and I found that we had formative experiences in common.
克雷格和我发现我们有相似的成长经历。
Both of us immigrants, him a second generation growing up in the US and myself first generation arriving in the UK from Jamaica at the age of three.
我们都是移民,他是在美国长大的第二代,而我是第一代,在三岁的时候从牙买加来到英国。
But from there, our stories are quite different.
但是从这里开始,我们的人生变得截然不同。
Lesson four, beware of role reversion.
第四点,小心角色逆转。
There were a few times in our conversation where Craig slipped into giving me career advice.
在我们的交谈中,有几次克雷格忍不住给我提供职业建议。
And I had to say, "Craig this is really interesting and I'd love to come back to this later,
这时候我不得不提醒他,“克雷格,这真的很有趣,我很乐意稍后回到这个话题,
but in our limited time together, is there anything else you'd like to understand from me?"
但是在我们有限的时间里,你还有什么想从我这里了解的吗?”
Now this was quite hard, but you have to remember that as a mentor for this very short period of time,
这个真的很难做到,但是你必须记住,作为在这很短时间里的导师,
your insights are actually more valuable to the organization.
你的见解对组织更有价值。
Lesson five, make time for reflection.
第五点,抽出时间反思。
Agree the key takeaways from each of the sessions,
要对每次会议的关键要点达成一致,
either at the end or through follow-up email and schedule your sessions to allow time between for reflection.
无论在会议结尾还是通过后续邮件,然后安排好会议日程,留出反思的时间。
We found that three to four weeks provided a great rhythm.
我们发现三到四周的时间节奏刚好。
And finally, give credit where credit's due.
最后,该表扬的就表扬。
In the traditional mentoring relationship the mentor isn't expected to be given credit.
在传统的教导关系中,导师不会期待被表扬。
However, in reverse mentoring where the mentee actually holds a lot of the power accurate credit really counts.
然而,在反向指导中,被指导者实际上拥有很大的权力,准确的表扬真的很重要。
Forward-thinking organizations use reverse mentoring as one of the tools to help them build a more inclusive environment.
具有前瞻性的组织将反向指导作为帮助他们建立一个更具包容性的环境的工具之一。
And studies have shown that when organizations embrace reverse mentoring
研究表明,当一个组织接受反向指导时,
members of those underrepresented groups feel more confident in sharing their perspectives.
那些特殊群体的成员会更自信地分享他们的观点。
And when accompanied by a comprehensive diversity and inclusion strategy, it leads to higher retention amongst these groups.
如果配合全面的多元化和包容性战略将提高这些群体的留存率。
Personally, I found that my reverse mentoring relationship with Craig
就个人而言,我发现我和克雷格的反向指导关系,
enabled me to have a sense of ownership and leadership in building an inclusive culture at Virgin.
让我在维珍建设包容性文化的过程中获得了了主人翁意识和领导力。
And for Craig, it showed that even when you're at the pinnacle of your career, there's still more you can learn.
对克雷格来说,这表明即使你处于职业生涯顶峰,仍然有很多东西需要学习。

重点单词   查看全部解释    
reverse [ri'və:s]

想一想再看

n. 相反,背面,失败,倒档
adj. 反面的

联想记忆
pitch [pitʃ]

想一想再看

n. 沥青,树脂,松脂
n. 程度,投掷,球场

联想记忆
confident ['kɔnfidənt]

想一想再看

adj. 自信的,有信心的,有把握的
a

联想记忆
impact ['impækt,im'pækt]

想一想再看

n. 冲击(力), 冲突,影响(力)
vt.

联想记忆
creative [kri'eitiv]

想一想再看

adj. 创造性的

联想记忆
rhythm ['riðəm,'riθəm]

想一想再看

n. 节奏,韵律,格律,节拍

 
novice ['nɔvis]

想一想再看

n. 新信徒,新手

联想记忆
understand [.ʌndə'stænd]

想一想再看

vt. 理解,懂,听说,获悉,将 ... 理解为,认为<

 
strategy ['strætidʒi]

想一想再看

n. 战略,策略

 
mentor ['mentə]

想一想再看

n. 指导者 vt. 指导

联想记忆

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。